Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

IMO, most of what you may wish to research is now available online; no need to go anywhere.
Are you researching a specific vessel? Many members here can also be a resource for you; you need only ask.
Don....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Assuming you're new at this, start with books. Find books on shipwrecks in an area you're interested in. Look on Google Books or your local library for popular books. Once you scour the books and find interesting wrecks, make a list. Then go back to the library and find more info on your targeted wrecks. While not always the case, going to a library or archive is essential in verifying wrecks found in books. Most treasure wrecks found in books are worthless, but you have to check and see. You can find unpublished wrecks, but it takes knowing the ropes to get to that point. Of course, you can skip research and simply ask local fishermen and lobster divers if they know any interesting wrecks in the area. Then you can work backwards from the artifacts you may find. Good luck.

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the info... Ive read books by robert Marx and John potter... That's all the info I have to go on at the moment... Was wondering of libraries here in the states would have info on ships from other nationalities

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks Don... I've got a few vessels in mind but not quite sure where to start... Figured the map room in the new York public library

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Where to start" might be to exam your goals. Are you doing pure research because you like the subject but have no intention of 'getting in the water'? Or are you at the other end of the spectrum: Have the time and funds to research, search, salvage, negotiate with permit holders, create contracts with third parties,and run a company? Or somewhere in between? Answering those questions might then start to narrow your field of concentrated effort.
Don..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread