What's new

Inherited Bronze Pendants

SaraSara

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Attached bronzes were inherited by my grandmother. Appears both were designed/made by same artist with letters C A L V E S. The one that looks like a King has initials HPMHS. Sent to local museum for review and they could not figure out where these came from or what they were.

Any insights would be great appreciated.[/color][/font]
 

Attachments

  • painting 304.webp
    painting 304.webp
    61.7 KB · Views: 450
  • painting 305.webp
    painting 305.webp
    51.8 KB · Views: 445
  • painting 309.webp
    painting 309.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 443
  • painting 310.webp
    painting 310.webp
    54.6 KB · Views: 449
  • painting 361.webp
    painting 361.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 444
  • painting 359.webp
    painting 359.webp
    45 KB · Views: 457
  • painting 356.webp
    painting 356.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 446
  • painting 321.webp
    painting 321.webp
    47 KB · Views: 452
Souvenirs pieces probably from Greece (or nearby Islands) circa 20th century
 
Upvote 0
One token depicts an ancient greek harp or lyre I would guess and I would agree with Cru that its some kind of 20th century jewelry or souvenir signed by the artist. Looks like Calves Jr. maybe :dontknow:

When I see HS I think of High School. (Very wild guess.)
 
Upvote 0
BTW welcome to TN Sara. Give it a couple days and someone will ID it. :) They are nice looking pieces.
 
Upvote 0
I just wanted to thank those of you who looked these over for me. And have given me ideas of what
they could be..I do know my grandmother traveled Europe from 1910ish thru 1925 . Italy ect.

Again
Thanks
Sara
 
Upvote 0
Neptune/Posiedon would be my guess.Calves..spanish name.."72" - 1872? or 1972 if you're grandmother was still travelling then?As Cru said..souvenirs,bootlace necklace type popular in the Med.
 
Upvote 0
The portrait pendant shows the upper portion of a herma or herme. Looks like an image of the god Dionysos also known as Bacchus. His leering smile & wreath crown are kind of trademark with him.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herma_Dionysos_Getty_Villa_79.AB.138.jpg

HPMHS means something in ancient Greek I think. I keyworded "Bacchus HPMHS" & arrived at three old archived French books about ancient Greek art & there was HPMHS, which I think was being referred to as some kind of inscription on an artwork. HPMHS as relates to Sara's piece is likely not initials of a person or place from her grandmother's time but rooted in something older. Its Greek to me.

A good close up of the signatures may really help. I think these are well done little lost wax bronzes
& rather singular.

I sense early to mid-20th century. Maybe late 19th. I agree with Dano. Is that "72"? That's a lot of verdigris on Bacchus with nice patination. Takes time.

Run with it.
 
Upvote 0
the lyre or greek harp * tips where they are from --greece * --so greek bronzes -- did your grandfolks ever travel there ? say in 1972 maybe? -- might be tourist repos or -- actual old items .

pitiful that you have to come here to find out their greek -- and you say you local measum could not figger that out? greez their lame if thats so. -- that greek lyre is a easy tip off -- 1st year history college student should see that.
 
Upvote 0
I think it does say 72. I also think the patina could be hastened by certain methods. And maybe it was part of a 1972 jewelry or bronze casting student project.

It seems that I remember seeing CALVES, or HPMHS or similar lettering on ancient coins, but I cant find much in a search.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks All !!

Wow...this site and the people in it all wonderful"...! The Art Musume here in Denver only saw
these photos.and the lady I was in contact with said she forwarded them to a fellow who had never seen Bronze like these. She told me to find an Expert in bronze (thought they were :). Have not been able to find an "Expert" here so far. I will take some more photos that are better for you all. I do see
a small spamp (foundry?) on the front right side of the one with the harp. and on the back of the one
with the face. Cannot read them.
I can tell you my Grandmother was never over sea's after she married in the 1920's. So they have to be made before then. Thanks to Metal detecting..I want to know about all the Coins and matal things I have. If I could only start finding some with it. !! ???

Again THANK YOU ALL...WHAT FUN!!!
Sara
 
Upvote 0
Foundry stamp. Good. Yes, its very small. Can you look at it under a magnifier or loupe?
 
Upvote 0
Montauk said:
Foundry stamp. Good. Yes, its very small. Can you look at it under a magnifier or loupe?
Ah yes good. I can see them. If you can read the writing, we have a good chance at ID.

You can take a picture thru a loupe or magnifying glass.
 
Upvote 0
I reckon Homer and Bacchus would have made, Good Mates :headbang:
Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom