Interesting back mark.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 15

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brian,
You might enjoy reading this thread from several years ago:
Don......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good button, but you haven’t shown the face. Is it plain?

The reply by CbG on the thread linked above has it.

The spelling “colour” tells us it was British-made and quality descriptions such as “Treble Gilt” generally appeared during the earlier part of the 19th Century. The raised lettering on backmark puts it no later than the very early 1840s.

After the War of 1812 and the resulting anti-British sentiment in America, many British manufacturers sought to protect/re-establish their export business by removing place names such as “Birmingham” or “London” from their backmarks and replacing emblems such as crowns with “American” eagle emblems. American manufacturers had begun using eagle emblems for patriotic reasons (although they couldn’t compete commercially with mass production from British factories) and so British exporters copied them for a while until the anti-British sentiment died down.

I would guess it to be 1820-ish to 1830-ish

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good button, but you haven’t shown the face. Is it plain?

The reply by CbG on the thread linked above has it.

The spelling “colour” tells us it was British-made and quality descriptions such as “Treble Gilt” generally appeared during the earlier part of the 19th Century. The raised lettering on backmark puts it no later than the very early 1840s.

After the War of 1812 and the resulting anti-British sentiment in America, many British manufacturers sought to protect/re-establish their export business by removing place names such as “Birmingham” or “London” from their backmarks and replacing emblems such as crowns with “American” eagle emblems. American manufacturers had begun using eagle emblems for patriotic reasons (although they couldn’t compete commercially with mass production from British factories) and so British exporters copied them for a while until the anti-British sentiment died down.

I would guess it to be 1820-ish to 1830-ish
Yes the face is plain, any button with an eagle is a welcome find. Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions