Can someone help me identify button "TREBLE GILT" COLOUR

Integrity3

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found about a dozen or so buttons can someone help me date these and identify the manufacturer. Im new t metal detecting, any help would be apprecated.
Treble Gilt Coloure Button.jpg Wreath w-stars Button.jpg

Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly impossible to tell the maker but it is British made, which give two good possibilities, Birmingham or London. Its a quality mark referring to its Gilt. First quarter of the 19th C.

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (current)
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (current)
Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found about a dozen or so buttons can someone help me date these and identify the manufacturer. Im new t metal detecting, any help would be apprecated.
View attachment 773645

sorry to dig this thread up,but did you ever find any ID on the second button with the wreath and 3 stars? I just found one with the same stamp, although all flat with no border around the button. Ayn help would be great!

Cheers

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DirtTick, welcome to TreasureNet and the What-Is-It forum, which is the best place on the internet to get CORRECT identifications & time-dating info. Unfortunately, because your plain-front brass flatbutton backmark shows only a wreath and stars, its manufacturer cannot be specifically identified.

The "plain front" brass 1-piece flatbuttons in the photo were manufactured for use on civilian clothing. Ones with a raised-lettering backmark (like yours) date from approximately 1790 to the very-early-1840s, and ones with indented backmarking start about 1810.

The majority of the brass 1-piece flatbuttons we dig in the US were imported here from Britain, because until the mid-1820s the young US button-making industry was incapable of mass-producing them, falling far short of the demand-level from the Clothing-Manufacturers. Therefore, in the early-1800s, many millions of the plain-front brass 1-piece buttons were still being imported from the old "Mother Country," Britain.

The War-Of-1812 caused US consumers to dislike British-made products, so American button-makers sometimes included an American eagle in the button's backmark to signify that it was a US-made button. (British-made ones often have a British crown in the backmark.)

At that time, the word gilt in a button's backmark referred strictly to gold-plating... and the word plated meant silver-plating.

Also at that time, the British had established a set of "Quality" standards regarding the manufacture of metal buttons. Unfortunately, the standards were not strictly enforced, so button makers quickly went to playing fast-and-loose with the Quality ratings. I should mention, the American button manufacturers copied the British markings. So unless a backmark tells a British location (like London) or contains a British spelling (such as "colour" instead of color, a quality-rating in the backmark won't tell you whether the button is British-made or US-made. Some of the many examples of "Quality-Rating" in backmarks are:
Standard Quality
Extra Quality
Fine Quality
Superior Quality
Best Quality (note the "Best" on one of your buttons)
Superfine Quality
Gilt
Extra Gilt
Fine Gilt
Treble Gilt
"Orange Colour" (refers to the color of the goldplating)
Rich Orange
Plated
Treble Plated

Here's a very educational link which has info about the type of button you found:
http://www.daacs.org/wp-content/uploads/buttons.pdf

Last edited:

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TCG!
Thanks for the informative reply! Super helpful, and well appreciated.

I really need to start getting better about posting pics and etc for my finds (now that I'm finally gathering some decent to show). In any case I'll get out the camera to show my button here soon.

Looking forward to participating in the community a bit more.

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay all here is a pic of the button I found. Let me know any more info if you got it!

P1140714.JPG P1140715.JPG

Hey TCG!
Thanks for the informative reply! Super helpful, and well appreciated.

I really need to start getting better about posting pics and etc for my finds (now that I'm finally gathering some decent to show). In any case I'll get out the camera to show my button here soon.

Looking forward to participating in the community a bit more.

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello Integrity 3 i found one that is very similar to yours accept it just has a wreath with no stars or grading marks. Flat Button.jpg

if you or anyone else knows the age or origin, please let me know.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEW MEMBER I HAVE THE SAME BUTTON AND WELCOME TO TNET .

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to TNet. TCG, Great ID Job. Saved me the typing.!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

PS: Hard Work is always appreciated here on TNet ok. PEACE:RONB

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your old button. The guideline that I follow, generally, is any plain front flat button with a backmark (best color, treble gilt, extra fine, orange, London, etc) date approximately 1820-1840.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and great find hope to see more from you also.. Thanks for sharing your finds!!!!!!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help with the ID, but these old buttons are always great finds. Back marks usually indicate early 1800's and most were made in England. Best of luck on future hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread