What's new

IOWA weekend trip yields a LC and a cool top part from a ring

DPBOB

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
3,592
Reaction score
264
Golden Thread
0
Location
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used
AVATAR: MY Wife Saying....




"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my son back to school in Iowa City on Fri.
Spent the whole weekend out there.
I got in touch with a farmer I met out there a few months ago.
I got several spots to hunt in the future trips.. 5-7 spots.
Sat. spent sometime detecting but was skunked.
Sun morning left at 7:00 am and headed out to the town just east from the city to do an old school house.
Along the way I noticed some sidewalk tear up at a school so I hit that first.
1st target was the token.( Horn-Draulic Loaders Horn Manufacturing Co. )
Then off to a long gone school ( on the 1840 map ) Weeds were a bit high and the corn was in my way...Future hunt.
Then I hit a park in a town that was an hour away. I have been researching this town for a couple years. I have hunted in it 2 other times before.
A couple months ago I sat in the parking space there for 1 1/2 hour hoping the rain would let up...It never did so I left.
Well today it was beautiful so I had some time to hunt.
I first pulled up the top of a ring at 7 inches.
Next target was a solid 00 29 / 00 30 on the SE and deep too. I thought for sure it was a silver quarter but was I wrong.
At 10 inches out popped the disc and I knew it was a LC...
A 1843 LC in pretty good condition...
This LC is now a special coin to me cause of the research and the several month rain delay.. But then again I might not have found it then too.

Thanks for looking....
Mark I was hoping for a seated like you said I would find..but Neil nailed this one right on the money with the LC....
 

Attachments

  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 005.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 005.webp
    24 KB · Views: 232
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 022.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 022.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 013.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 013.webp
    50 KB · Views: 223
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 012.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 012.webp
    45.5 KB · Views: 217
:icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 010.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 010.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 011.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 011.webp
    28 KB · Views: 216
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 019.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 019.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 207
:icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 023.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 023.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 014.webp
    8-23-09 IOWA Weekend Trip 014.webp
    26 KB · Views: 213
Nice L.C. bob...........Wow.....seen some seated and large cents found this year..None by me tho...
Congrats to You....
 
VERY NICE FINDS BOB :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Oh man Bob, what a great find!!! :hello2: :thumbsup: :headbang: I would trade my record day today, just to be able to dig that sweet 1843 largie.
 
So glad your trip was productive. . . you deserved it :thumbsup:
Awesome ring-top & LC. . . I've GOT to find to find one of those LC's. . . (probably NOT :tongue3:)
 
Outstanding find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Congratulations, Bob!!!

Here's a generic Thumb Rocket for you!!! Often imitated - never duplicated. (Sorry Brett - it was the best I could do!) ;D

:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:blob8: :blob8: :blob8:
:blob8: :blob8:
:blob8:
 
Awesome job bud!!!! Hopefully there is a few mor LC for all of us to find!!!! :hello2:
Damn I wish I could of got a date off of mine..... :-\
 
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Awesome Job! LC's certainly are cool. Yours looks like it isn't too corroded which is a :icon_thumright:

Also that token is cool.

What do you think the stone is on the ring top? Amethyst? Sapphire? or just Glass?
 
Okay.......

First of all....CONGRATS! That is a coin on top of my wish list... :help:

You had a seated that was on top of your wish list.......I took you to your seated......sooooooo..... :dontknow:.....maybe you'll take me to my LC ;D

I swear I'll behave :icon_pirat:

Once again, Congrats, maybe next time it'll be a bust coin.
 
That looks to be a big token Bob, love that LC!
 
Lookn4seated said:
Okay.......

First of all....CONGRATS! That is a coin on top of my wish list... :help:

You had a seated that was on top of your wish list.......I took you to your seated......sooooooo..... :dontknow:.....maybe you'll take me to my LC ;D

I swear I'll behave :icon_pirat:

Once again, Congrats, maybe next time it'll be a bust coin.
3 hours away...you driving ;D ;D ;D ;D :headbang:
 
Thanks All

p2c said:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Awesome Job! LC's certainly are cool. Yours looks like it isn't too corroded which is a :icon_thumright:

Also that token is cool.

What do you think the stone is on the ring top? Amethyst? Sapphire? or just Glass?
I think it's amethyst
 
sweet treats!

Anyone know how that token would have been used?
Round and round it goes - around what?
 
Mayo South Elgin said:
sweet treats!

Anyone know how that token would have been used?
Round and round it goes - around what?
In a bar...? You buy the round.....
Kids had no bottle...? ;D ;D
 
The more I look at that token, the cooler it gets. . . yep, perfect for tavern use :thumbsup:

Is there a little "bulge" in the center of the token on the reverse so it can spin freely?
 
watercolor said:
The more I look at that token, the cooler it gets. . . yep, perfect for tavern use :thumbsup:

Is there a little "bulge" in the center of the token on the reverse so it can spin freely?
It does spin around.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom