What's new

Iron Cap/Lid. Now it has a SPRING (Updated Pics)

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this iron graduated 'bullseye' cap/lid at a CW camp that has produced pewter canteen filters, flat bullets, and a rosette. Does anyone have a clue about this lid (or whatever it is?) I want to know whether to chunk it or electrocute it; lol. Thanks in advance for help and any ideas. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronLid1Top.webp
    IronLid1Top.webp
    25 KB · Views: 311
  • IronLid2Bottom.webp
    IronLid2Bottom.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 300
Re: Iron graduated bullseye LID (?)

Is it possible that it is a beehive button/snap? Good luck with the ID, Breezie!
Great hunting and good luck!! Skypilot
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron graduated bullseye LID (?)

skypilot02 said:
Is it possible that it is a beehive button/snap? Good luck with the ID, Breezie!
Great hunting and good luck!! Skypilot

Hey Sky, thanks for your reply, but this piece is 2 inches wide, so much too large for a button. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron graduated bullseye LID (?)

Is the neck about the right size for a candle stick? Maybe it's part of a candle holder or candelabra.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron graduated bullseye LID (?)

DCMatt said:
Is the neck about the right size for a candle stick? Maybe it's part of a candle holder or candelabra.

DCMatt

Matt, after reading your post, I decided to try to clean it to see if the hole would hold a candle. As I was scraping some of the rust off, a spring popped out. If it is some type of compression cap, the spring looks like it is on the wrong side since the lipped edge is on the opposite side. Now what do you think??? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CapWithSpring1.webp
    CapWithSpring1.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 200
  • CapWithSpring2.webp
    CapWithSpring2.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 196
  • CapWithSpring3.webp
    CapWithSpring3.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 201
  • CapWithSpring4.webp
    CapWithSpring4.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
I think you have a radiator thermostat from a car. Not a Civil War car either. :tongue3: :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
I think you have a radiator thermostat from a car. Not a Civil War car either. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Yep, I think you're right Lucas! I guess this cap goes along with the 1930s-40s lipstick tube I found in the same area about 5 feet from a CW bullet. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Lucas said:
I think you have a radiator thermostat from a car. Not a Civil War car either. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Yep, I think you're right Lucas! I guess this cap goes along with the 1930s-40s lipstick tube I found in the same area about 5 feet from a CW bullet. Breezie
It looks like it could be a thermostat. I can't think of anything else right off.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom