Iron cast earthenware

mwanyu

Nov 12, 2019
Dar es Salaam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

There is one new find I came across, but could not make out?

Inside when shaken feels like some liquid

pot_3.png pot_4.png

Below is the owner of this mysterious sealed pot

pot.png pot_2.png

Any idea, what liquid might be inside the container??

Upvote 9

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the photos. Intriguing piece. I wonder what is inside? Water or something else!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting item!

At first glance it looks like a weight, however if it contains a liquid and feels unusually heavy perhaps it is a small size cast iron "flask" used to hold and transport liquid Mercury metal. Mercury was and still is used to recover Gold in mining operations. The normal standard size large cast iron Mercury flasks hold something like 76 pounds, this item probably wouldn't hold more than 5 pounds of Mercury metal if I were to guess. It could of course be something entirely different but that is what came to mind.

OP
OP
M

mwanyu

Nov 12, 2019
Dar es Salaam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting item!

At first glance it looks like a weight, however if it contains a liquid and feels unusually heavy perhaps it is a small size cast iron "flask" used to hold and transport liquid Mercury metal. Mercury was and still is used to recover Gold in mining operations. The normal standard size large cast iron Mercury flasks hold something like 76 pounds, this item probably wouldn't hold more than 5 pounds of Mercury metal if I were to guess. It could of course be something entirely different but that is what came to mind.

It is very interesting indeed!

The owner thought it was a magic lamp like Aladdin's, and was even afraid to take it to laboratory for analysis,
He was then convinced, but we are not even sure on the results which one of the professors told
He said inside would be
1. Mercury
2. Uranium (to protect the mercury)
3. Platinum

He also insisted to the owner not to open the flask in a traditional manner otherwise it would course danger to the environment due to some of the element's poisonous contents
The owner is puzzled till today and needs international help

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find, sure looks like a weight. :dontknow: Can you measure its weight?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now you've got me wondering. Hmmm. Could it be treasure? Maybe. Let's break it open and see.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''The owner thought it was a magic lamp like Aladdin's, and was even afraid to take it to laboratory for analysis "
Magic lamp really???
I want some of what he's been smoking.

I think it's a chamber pot or zen hanger

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Does it weigh 6 anything (pounds/kilos)?
Hopefully the little hole was not for a fuse...

OP
OP
M

mwanyu

Nov 12, 2019
Dar es Salaam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''The owner thought it was a magic lamp like Aladdin's, and was even afraid to take it to laboratory for analysis "
Magic lamp really???
I want some of what he's been smoking.

I think it's a chamber pot or zen hanger

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool. I agree with Plumbata that more than likely it contains Hg. I'm curious what it weighs, too.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a professor who inspected it personally thinks it contains mercury then that is further support for the idea. I seriously doubt that it contains uranium or platinum, though I could see mercury being used to surround highly radioactive substances to absorb and block radiation. This item appears to be a simple cast iron container for mercury however. Mercury metal is somewhat valuable, worth about 100 USD per pound (454 grams) but is difficult and dangerous to handle and ship. Gold miners in your area would be the best to sell it to. Old containers of mercury are also filled with mercury gas/vapors which is very toxic to breathe so don't open it without proper precautions.

I want to tell you that I am very happy that you are here sharing your discoveries and hunts in Tanzania, we mostly see items from the North America and Europe but very little from Africa so it is very interesting to see and read what you have to share on the forum here. I personally would like to see more antique bottles from the old dump you found, aside from good scrap metal like copper and brass that was often just thrown away in the past instead of sold for scrap, you can find special rare bottles valuable to collectors and items thrown away accidentally like coins and silver spoons and other silver items. I dig dumps for antique bottles here in the USA and have found gold items as well as over a pound of sterling silver. There is also a chance that antique African artifacts could be recovered from the dumpsite that have value now but which were not worth much 100 years ago.

OP
OP
M

mwanyu

Nov 12, 2019
Dar es Salaam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a professor who inspected it personally thinks it contains mercury then that is further support for the idea. I seriously doubt that it contains uranium or platinum, though I could see mercury being used to surround highly radioactive substances to absorb and block radiation. This item appears to be a simple cast iron container for mercury however. Mercury metal is somewhat valuable, worth about 100 USD per pound (454 grams) but is difficult and dangerous to handle and ship. Gold miners in your area would be the best to sell it to. Old containers of mercury are also filled with mercury gas/vapors which is very toxic to breathe so don't open it without proper precautions.

I want to tell you that I am very happy that you are here sharing your discoveries and hunts in Tanzania, we mostly see items from the North America and Europe but very little from Africa so it is very interesting to see and read what you have to share on the forum here. I personally would like to see more antique bottles from the old dump you found, aside from good scrap metal like copper and brass that was often just thrown away in the past instead of sold for scrap, you can find special rare bottles valuable to collectors and items thrown away accidentally like coins and silver spoons and other silver items. I dig dumps for antique bottles here in the USA and have found gold items as well as over a pound of sterling silver. There is also a chance that antique African artifacts could be recovered from the dumpsite that have value now but which were not worth much 100 years ago.

You nailed it @Plumbata

To know the truth if the find is real or not is not easy right away as there are people who need to brainwash you and go away to loot and take what you have found....conmen are everywhere spotting for such items and take advantage of even if its not worth a penny. To really get full results, analysis report, geological find of the antique, one needs to visit the right place in order to get real professionals having scanners, detectors, and special tools to help identify the content, material and make of what one has found (This requires financial availability of which most finders are living below the poverty line and cannot afford a $ 50 for analysis report)

A real group of support on such venture are required, the one that believe such things exist and others could worth handful of dollars, such people to give awareness and education as expertise of these strange shaped objects found in Gold mines, Abandoned building sites, Abandoned Gemstone mines, Industrial areas, Homes, and other places of the like.

will keep you posted.

OP
OP
M

mwanyu

Nov 12, 2019
Dar es Salaam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Once again on the same area, inside this brass like a Golf Ball are some liquid

Image 2020-01-17 at 12.14.04 PM.jpeg