What's new

Iron Locking Pin?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I found this iron pin today in an area that has produced a mixed bag from pre-Civil War to Buffalo Nickles. It appears to have been used to 'lock' or stop movement because the top portion is key-like. It is thick and heavy for its size. Anyone have an idea what it is or how it was used? Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronPin1.webp
    IronPin1.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IronPin2.webp
    IronPin2.webp
    19 KB · Views: 271
  • IronPin3.webp
    IronPin3.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 272
Thanks y'all for the ideas. I picked-off some more rust and there is a small rectangular hole in the top. Gypsy, I don't think it is a clamp key because there are no threads. What you see that looks like threads is where I used a pair of pliers to wrench off some of the rust. ToT, I couldn't find a pic of an iron gas light key. Natural, it does look like a hitch pin, but I couldn't find in pics in GOOGLE that looked quite like this. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • IronPin4.webp
    IronPin4.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
I've always assumed they are hitch pins. But the ones I find are solid on the top, with no hole. There probably are different styles made, but used for the same purpose.
 
Upvote 0
I also see threads. That would make it a thumb-screw which could have been from any one of thousands of items or devices from lamps to chimney flue covers to welding clamps.
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
i see threads

There are no threads on this pin. What you see is where I used a pair of pliers to wrench off the rust. The teeth on the pliers caused those lines.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I can green check this one as some type of old hitch pin. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom