ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell me more about this hollow barrel key. The only marks appear to be a “12” and a small “4” at 3 o’clock, and perhaps a larger “4” at 6 o’clock, all on the same side.

There are three scratches or marks and since they are on both sides they may have been added.

Based on the shape, I believe it to be early, perhaps even Civil War. It was found near the lock, but does not unlock the lock.

The lock is a Memphis and Charleston Railroad lock. The maker is S.C. Thomson Newark NJ, and it dates to the time of the Civil War.

Both items were found along the M&C near Corinth, Mississippi.

Interested in age, maker and use of the key if known.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4470.jpeg
    IMG_4470.jpeg
    970.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4425.jpeg
    IMG_4425.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 31

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Railway lock and keys

Upvote 0

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell me more about this hollow barrel key. The only marks appear to be a “12” and a small “4” at 3 o’clock, and perhaps a larger “4” at 6 o’clock, all on the same side.

There are three scratches or marks and since they are on both sides they may have been added.

Based on the shape, I believe it to be early, perhaps even Civil War. It was found near the lock, but does not unlock the lock.

The lock is a Memphis and Charleston Railroad lock. The maker is S.C. Thomson Newark NJ, and it dates to the time of the Civil War.

Both items were found along the M&C near Corinth, Mississippi.

Interested in age, maker and use of the key if known.

Thanks!
That lock is great, and that RR I believe ran from 1857-1894(?)…. I love the railroad memorabilia, my Grandfather was on Burlington Northern RR for over 45 years and he sure loved all things RR. The key appears to be like many other RR lock barrel keys, could have been for any lock they were using, be it line/track switch, pump house, crossings, etc… I’m sure someone on here will help you out, lots of knowledge people and one learns something every day!
Good luck and once again great finds!!👍🏼😬

Upvote 1

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That lock is great, and that RR I believe ran from 1857-1894(?)…. I love the railroad memorabilia, my Grandfather was on Burlington Northern RR for over 45 years and he sure loved all things RR. The key appears to be like many other RR lock barrel keys, could have been for any lock they were using, be it line/track switch, pump house, crossings, etc… I’m sure someone on here will help you out, lots of knowledge people and one learns something every day!
Good luck and once again great finds!!👍🏼😬
For future use in identifying RR keys… It’s too bad your key doesn’t have anything else written on it, like railroad or maker/makers mark. Maybe this will help in the future if you come across others… Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For future use in identifying RR keys… It’s too bad your key doesn’t have anything else written on it, like railroad or maker/makers mark. Maybe this will help in the future if you come across others… Good luck!
Bernitup where would these marks be? Could they be obscured by the patina/grime? I could try to clean it a little more. If you blow up the images you can see there could be more writing. Every layer I get off brings another layer of findings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bernitup where would these marks be? Could they be obscured by the patina/grime? I could try to clean it a little more. If you blow up the images you can see there could be more writing. Every layer I get off brings another layer of findings.
For instance, I think the three scratches on the back partially cover a “S”. Does anyone else see that?

Upvote 0

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of markings, both letters and numbers, are typically at 12 o’clock…the next common in my opinion are markings at 3/9/12 o’clock positions. They really can be marked anywhere on the ring of the key, it’s just those positions seem to be most common and typical of RR keys. Usually the markings are fairly well stamped into the key, although there are plenty of well used and somewhat worn keys out there. The “12” on your key would be indicative of the typical markings found and I would expect if there is anything else you shouldn’t have to strain to see it, especially with the “12” being in such a prominent position that would be handled or touched a lot. Keep researching, I’m sure you’ll find out more!👍🏼

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread