Iron Rock???

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Called "hot rocks" and detectors love them. Magnetite (lodestone) is magnetic itself, and variations of Ferrite (iron ore) will respond to a magnet. Fairly common.

Upvote 0

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is this why once in a while I dig a signal and there is nothing there? Happened more with the bounty hunter, but sometimes it was just seemingly reading nothing.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captain Jack said:
Is this why once in a while I dig a signal and there is nothing there? Happened more with the bounty hunter, but sometimes it was just seemingly reading nothing.

You should still be able to determine the rock is the target if it's small and/or shallow. Re-sweep the hole as you dig and when the hit moves to the excavated pile you know it's out. A pinpointer would help, too. The problem is when it's a BIG rock and the detector shows 8" deep silver dollar instead of 40" deep bowling ball sized rock.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Jeff G said:
How big and what does it look like?? Meteorites can also have the same effect...

I agree with Jeff. Learn the characteristics of meteorites- fusion crust, thumbnail imprints ect.
Meteorites are sold by the gram and if your "large rock" turns out to be a meteorite it would be big bucks.

George

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread