What's new

Is AU for Gold or Makers Mark?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Hey folks, After spending a long weekend at the beach, I managed to bring home a few goodies. Since it was Memorial Day weekend, there were umpteen hundred people on the beach. I was there hoping all would be wearing a Mr. T jump starter jewelry ensemble on oily slick bodies. :laughing7: Anyway, the LOVE pendant I found is marked AU 14K. Do you think the AU is the maker's mark or the symbol for gold? I can't seem to find any info about this, and have never seen it. Thanks in advance, Breezie

PS: After finding LOVE, Pray, Protect Me, Crosses, and an Angel, I was wondering if there was a message behind these finds. ;D
 

Attachments

  • 05-30-2010MemoriaDayJewelry.webp
    05-30-2010MemoriaDayJewelry.webp
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 05-30-2010LovePentantMark.webp
    05-30-2010LovePentantMark.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,042
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

ok I am going to try to answer this one
Au is the atomic symbol for gold.
http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/au.html

Basic Information
Name: Gold
Symbol: Au
Atomic Number: 79
Atomic Mass: 196.96655 amu
Melting Point: 1064.43 °C (1337.5801 K, 1947.9741 °F)
Boiling Point: 2807.0 °C (3080.15 K, 5084.6 °F)
Number of Protons/Electrons: 79
Number of Neutrons: 118
Classification: Transition Metal
Crystal Structure: Cubic
Density @ 293 K: 19.32 g/cm3
Color: Gold
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Ole Grisley, thank you for your post and information. ;D I realize AU is the symbol for gold, but I've never seen AU and 14K (or any other K) on a piece of jewelry together. I don't know if this is a maker's mark or whether a certain country marks their jewelry with 'both' AU and the K weight. So I'm marking your vote as the AU is for gold. Thanks again, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Great find breezie!!!!! I thought i found silver today until i got back home and red told me what it really was 14KT Itallian white gold!!!! in today's posts!!! HH chug
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Chug said:
Great find breezie!!!!! I thought i found silver today until i got back home and red told me what it really was 14KT Itallian white gold!!!! in today's posts!!! HH chug

Thanks Chug, I'll go check out your gold. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

On one site i read that "14k is a general Asian gold mark for export use". Maybe AU 14K is an Asian mark for "internal use"? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Try Australia the country.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Are you detecting a NC beach or a SC beach? North Myrtle has been good this past week, with the wind , rain and waves!! Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Dano & Montauk, I think we could combine both of your ideas, and come up with "internal use" for Australia. Since I found it on the beach, it could have washed-up from anywhere. :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Tony in SC said:
Are you detecting a NC beach or a SC beach? North Myrtle has been good this past week, with the wind , rain and waves!! Tony

Tony, I was detecting a NC beach, and you're right the storms have stirred up some great finds. During Memorial Day weekend, there were rip current warning all up and down the East coast. Sadly to say, where we were there was a drowning that weekend , but the guy died a hero. He gave his surfboard to a Dad and his 14 yr. old son. The Dad & son made it back to shore, but the surfer did not. The surfer's wife and 2 children stood helplessly on the shore.

I hope to go back soon for more goodies. In my opinion, the best time to beach hunt is after a hurricane, but I'd rather not find anything than have a hurricane!

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

Can't help on the mark but looks like you did ok. It's sad about the surfer though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

vayank54 said:
Can't help on the mark but looks like you did ok. It's sad about the surfer though.

Yeppers, it was a pretty productive weekend MD wise; thank you. And yes, it was sad about the surfer. There was another incident not 100 feet from where I was digging; a college age girl was taken by ambulance, so I'm assuming she made it. She was in the 'beer bong' group, so not ocean/water related.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is AU for Gold or Maker's Mark?

I'll take a stab at it.

AU or Au stands for Aureus (Latin): an ancient Roman gold coin.

Au added to gold jewelry to identify it as gold. 14 KT tell purity.

Aureus in scientific nomenclature stands for golden, thus Staphylococcus aureus stands for the Golden Staphylococcus.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom