What's new

Is it August yet??

kcm

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
5,867
Reaction score
7,093
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We're off to a snowier-than-usual season this year. Yesterday, unplowed areas were right at the 12" mark, so fresh snow totals have probably been near 20". Now we have a Christmas Blizzard coming our way.

...Does Santa have fog lights mounted on his sleigh? I don't think Rudolph's nose is gonna be enough!

2016.12.23 Christmas Blizzard Watch.webp
 
Sorry to here about your weather. I can relate, when I hunted last Saturday everything was frozen. I see that there might be a chance for me to detect today thru Monday with Monday getting up to 60 degrees. It's going to be muddy, but I plan on getting out a couple more times. Being that it is going to be sloppy I will not do any permissions in town, but will try to snipe some older schools and out of the way parks.
 
I've come to the definite conclusion (as of this year) that snow is nothing more than cold, white MUD! :tongue3: :laughing7:

Isn't quite so bad when it stays cold enough to keep the snow dry, but that wet snow is just plain nasty!

Saw something the other day where someone was asking why the New England area always has such intensive weather warnings and such, while much in the mid-west is simply ignored. I think the answer is the WET. Man, I couldn't imagine living in New York and getting dumped on with 2' of the heavy wet stuff.

What's it like in Ohio?
 
I am lucky to live west of the lake effect snow line. We are expecting a heat wave here in my area. It might top out at 60 degrees Monday. Last year and the year before I was able to hunt through the 1st week of January. This year has not been so kind. July and August were too dry to hunt permissions in town. I do not like to hunt if the snow is more than 3 inches deep unless I am at a modern site since I am giving up 3 inches of depth. I have been known to hunt flea markets when the ground is frozen. Most targets are on the surface (clad) and can be pried easily with a screwdriver from the pea gravel. In your area I recommend you detect at the bottom of sledding hills if the snow is deep.
 
Last edited:
Man that sounds cold.......It did get down to the 20's here the other day....... But now it is back up in the 50's and 60's...
 
It's snow problem. :tongue3:

Tis the season for scouting new sites!

Moving light and fast, just a man and his machine out for a hike. Marking spots until the thaw and kicking up surface trash. Revisiting sites where choked out vegitation is easily cleared and cool temperatures make the clearing work tolerable. Spring is coming...got to prepare!
 
UPDATE:

2016.12.24 Christmas Blizzard Warning!.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom