What's new

Is it or isnt it?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it or isn't it?

Found the following 1924 wheat cent in one of the bags from last week's batch of pennies.

Now I am just trying to figure out, is it or isn't it a "D" I see below the date.

If it is a D then its the 5th lowest mintage wheat cent, if not, then its just a relatively common wheat cent from the 20's.

Opinions?
 

Attachments

  • 1924 Image 1.webp
    1924 Image 1.webp
    52.8 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
Re: Is it or isn't it?

I would say no to any mintmark. The groove that's below the 2 could be mistaken for the base of a D or S but I think it's just the left end of the gouge that runs towards the rim. Great find and pic!
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

Immy said:
I would say no to any mintmark. The groove that's below the 2 could be mistaken for the base of a D or S but I think it's just the left end of the gouge that runs towards the rim. Great find and pic!

That's not even where I was looking. Try this picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1924 Image 2.webp
    1924 Image 2.webp
    52 KB · Views: 248
Re: Is it or isn't it?

To bad it is all tore up. >:(
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

Allthough I see what you want to see. I think its way to far to the left to be what you think it is.
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

I believe it could go either way - could be a D.
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

It's a "Q". ;D.....sorry GMan, couldn't resist. Hard telling actually.
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

Would it really matter? With that groove the grading would go way down to nothing. Might as well have pulled it from the sea with a metal detector.

Better luck with the next one.

HH
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

Sheldius said:
Would it really matter? With that groove the grading would go way down to nothing. Might as well have pulled it from the sea with a metal detector.

Better luck with the next one.

HH

It's not due to value, it's to say I found one since they're a toughie.
 
Re: Is it or isn't it?

I think I am going to just call it a 1924.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom