Is it paying for itself?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
I have been involved in a few different hobbies over the past years and I think I have settled into metal detecting as the most enjoyable and least expensive. After the initial investment in the MD itself there are few expense when compared to other hobby's. There is little in the way of must have items (batteries) and maintenance is almost non existent.

If I don't count batteries and gas I figure my detector will pay for itself in just about a year with just coin finds. 3 two hour hunts a weak averaging 5 bucks in change each week. A conservative estimate when not including jewelry finds. That's 260. MD cost 250.

Was wondering how the rest of you feel about this. I guess there can be many variables.
Initial MD investment, how far you have to drive to reach your preferred hunting grounds, how fast you burn through battery and even what your time is worth.

If I compare it to just one of my other hobby type activities, golf, I am way better off. Lets see.
Two trips to driving range a week 15 dollars
Two rounds of golf and depending on course and time of year 80 bucks
Monetary level of frustration 50,000 dollars.
Half dozen lost golf balls. 10 bucks
Turning to the use of alcohol to counter the frustration on about hole 5, 35 dollars (drink cart drinks on the golf course are expensive).

I believe its a no brain-er and I will opt for metal detecting this weekend.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going for Clad, That is a very Conservative estimate.

People are getting Lazier day by day.
Even Kids will not bend over for a Quarter anymore.
Unless they need it.

And I'v seen kids throwng pennies just because they are
only pennies.

I figure anyone who is into the hobby of hunting clad
should be able to average $2.00 a day.

IF your in an area where you can hunt most of the year.
365 days could net you $730.00

of course some days you may find 5 or 10
& the next get rained out. but that's where the averages come in.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i usually get $2-5 clad per hunt. i paid quite a bit for my unit but its not only the cash found, i also have a reason to get out and sweat now. not being into sports of any kind, its hard to jusitfy being out in the south florida heat! i dont mind roaming around looking like a sweaty boar as long as the detector is beeping.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just sold our 34 ft sailboat last year. Metal detecting is saving me $5,000 per year in dockage, bottom paint and insurance alone. :D

I just totaled up and tumbled cleaned and discovered I found $28 in clad on my first set of AA's with the F-75. That's about $0.93 per hour of detecting!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Murphy,
I completely agree. It is a great hobby that ultimately pays for itself.

You mentioned the value of your time but if you are doing this to make money you are most likely better off getting a part time job paying minimum wage.

It is a hobby that allows you to get out in the open air and swing a detector which I think is the most relaxing thing you can do. I get so focused on what I'm doing that I forget about all of life's little stresses...I also sometimes lose track of time and the wife calls but every hobby has its hazards. If I find a keeper great if not I know I'm just that much closer to finding it. Best of all there is always the possibility of finding that very valuable coin or piece of jewelery and if not I can say I've meet some great people on-line that enjoy the same hobby that I do.

Happy Hunting
NJ

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
When I got out detecting, firstly I like to have fun which I do.........and secondly, I like to find enough clad to know that the batteries and lunch are paid for........and many times, I like to find enough clad in an outting to feel as though I'm turning out a profit. So normally I dedicate an hour or two to swinging in a concentrated effort to locate silver. If I don't find silver in that time, I go into Clad mode and hope that silver turns up in the odds involved with digging alot of shallower clad, and it works out usually one way or the other. Last two times I detected, it was a 100 and 200+ coins day for a total of about 30+ dollars. The batteries, cigarettes and lunch were paid for. I either take public transportation (NYC subway), ride my road bike (Bicycle) to a site or combine both, as I love to ride, so no gas expenses for me. I defiantely do want to turn some sort of profit, but fun of course must be the priority, as it is a hobby. I guess this is the few hobbies where you can have that fun and make some money in the process.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I haven't even bought a fishing license this year...so there's $22 or so.

And, of course, I'm home in the evening when it gets dark. That's when I'd usually go fishing, as the big cats don't bite until dark.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
People still look at me as dorky with my metal detector. I laugh at them and the hobby they have....horses. One of the most expensive animals to keep and a very expensive hobby. Laugh it up horse nuts! Every 2 months that go by I could by another detector for what they pay out to keep and ride a horse!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Just the fun of it is good enough, but also getting out with my father is a HUGE bonus when I can. I love the old stuff, but also enjoy finding 20+ quarters also. I have to admit, when the bugs are biting and the sun is burning I do get frustrated, but I just pack it in for another shot. Lots of clad this year, but 31 silver too. Not in it for the money because I can't survive in $5 a day, so it must be the fun!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread