Is metal detecting legal in Saudi Arabia?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I saw there were a few old threads on metal detecting in Saudi Arabia and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong), that it is illegal? Or at least, illegal to bring anything out of the country over X number of years old? I'll be interviewing for a job there soon and wondering if I can/should bring my metal detector. I'll be living on a compound but I can't imagine any good stuff being there. Would appreciate any feedback from those in the know. TIA!

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
There are vending machine out there that sell gold .If you get no answers to your question bring it and lay low and ask question with some one you will be working with. Ill bet if you just sit out in the sand and sift with your hands you will get lucky, How about just a pinpointer?

Sean shar

Greenie
Feb 7, 2023
Hi All,

I saw there were a few old threads on metal detecting in Saudi Arabia and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong), that it is illegal? Or at least, illegal to bring anything out of the country over X number of years old? I'll be interviewing for a job there soon and wondering if I can/should bring my metal detector. I'll be living on a compound but I can't imagine any good stuff being there. Would appreciate any feedback from those in the know. TIA!
Hello

You are right, metal detector is illegal in Saudi Arabia whether you want to sell or use it, Saudi Arabia has strict rules about metal detectors. This does not mean that they do not exist.
I'm not sure about the rule you mentioned that says you can't bring anything out of the country.

I hope this helped you and good luck with your interview.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew someone who worked in Saudi Arabia as a translator. He said one day he came home and there was 3 feet of sand in his house because he had left the windows open and there had been a sand storm while he was away. He also said that there are Sharia enforcement patrols to make sure you are abiding by the strict religious and dress codes, and they carry a little whip around in lieu of a baton more typical of a British Bobby.

Metal detecting Saudi Arabia doesn't sound like too much fun since it's typically 110°F under a blazing sun, not to mention the nomadic tribesmen who still ply the interior who likely won't take kindly to any outsiders.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I ended up taking a job in Shanghai, China instead. Probably equally as difficult a place to metal detect (can't find much on detecting in China) so I might just keep my detector home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread