What's new

Is my Morgan dollar a fake?? It weighs 26.9 grams..

blai745

Full Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Im sorry but I dont have a pic of the morgan.. I know there suposed to weigh 27.73 but on my pocket scale it weighs at 27.9... My other peace dollars weigh at 26.7 grams.. Plus they have a nice white silver color...The morgan seems alittle darker, dont know from toning... I actually scratch test it and it came out silver.. btw its a 1898 probly Fine grade.
Thanks
 
The only way to know for sure is to take it to a coin shop and have it checked. Even if we could see a pic we couldn't tell. Hope it is real......... :coffee2:
 
Try the magnet test ! If it sticks to the Morgan dollar then you have a Chinese counterfeit . If not then it's probably the real deal . Like Sandman said take it to your local coin shop and have them look at it ...

HH
Mike
 
So taking to a coin shop is ok, just not a jeweler? The other thread that jewelers will do an acid test on it and ruin the value? I just think it should be clarified for this guy so no big mistakes are made by accident!
 
blai745 said:
Hi Im sorry but I dont have a pic of the morgan.. I know there suposed to weigh 27.73 but on my pocket scale it weighs at 27.9... My other peace dollars weigh at 26.7 grams.. Plus they have a nice white silver color...The morgan seems alittle darker, dont know from toning... I actually scratch test it and it came out silver.. btw its a 1898 probly Fine grade.
Thanks
"I actually scratch test it and it came out silver.. btw its a 1898 probly Fine grade.
Thanks" I wouldn't scratch it any more friend. Take it to a Reputable coin shop. or call one. Here is my go to guy. "Wrights Coin Shop" Ref; Mike. 828-298-5402

They are professionals and they will tell you exactly what to do.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom