What's new

is there a large and small indian head cent ?

Anthonywayne

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Camden Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
when I was a small boy my dad gave me a indian head penny from what i can remember it was around the size of a half dollar. sadly it was lost. I wanting to get another one but all i can fiend is small cents . so the question I have is my memory right ? is there a indian head penny the size of a half dollar. ???
 
They made the Indian head penny from 1859-1909,which is a small cent. The last year of the large cent was 1857.
 
Thanks treasuredog for replying to my post, I am new her and to metal detecting . so I need to look for a indian head penny that pre-dates 1857 to get one of the large coins? thanks again for your help.
 
davidhall.com has a price guide and lists coins.
 
You may have been shown one of the very few civil war tokens that are larger than cent size.
I've seen several that were the size of a quarter and to a child it may have been remembered
as half dollar size or possibly there are some even larger and i just have not seen them yet.
siegfried schlagrule
 
There are three varieties of 'Indian' heads. They are all 'small' cents.The 1859-1864, copper-nickel varieties 1 & 2 cents are sometimes called Fat Indians because of their .073 thickness, compared to the other, bronze 1864-1909 variety 3, that is .056 thickness. All are 19 mm. in diameter. The 1856-1858 Small Cents were called a Flying Eagle and were also 19mm. in dia.. The so-called Large Cents, pre-1856, are much bigger in diameter. None of these Large Cents is called an Indian Head.

Hope this right........I think it is.

Bud
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom