What's new

Is There No End!! Broke My Detector!!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a good trip so far to Clearwater. The beaches are sanded in big time with the wind coming out of the west. I have found nothing and tonight, I was getting set to go out for a night hunt at low tide just after midnight. I was mounting my Infinium on my waist belt when I let is slip out of my hands at waist high over a concrete floor. You wouldn't know that old iron hands was a star wide receiver back in the day. Of all things, it landed on the power knob snapping the power knob shaft flush with the face of the machine. These things are built like little Army Tanks but all that weight hitting from that height snapped it right off. I can't win the lottery but I can drop a detector at the right height and probably the only angle that would break that shaft. What a trip so far. Now I am limited to my Minelab Sovereign Elite and out of the water hunt for the duration of the week unless I can figure a fix to be ablet to turn that shaft. The shaft broke flush with the face of the machine so that keeps me from gripping it with anything to turn it. It is also smooth at the surface. Since this is the power knob, it has a distinct pressure click when you turn it to power on the machine. This causes more pressure than a threshold or discriminate knob. Superglue is not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated but I am thinking I am done for this trip in the water.

Garrett has a top notch customer service department so it will be fixed fine when I can get it to them. It was due for a servicing anyway.

Snakebit on this trip so far.

DaChief!!!
 
Upvote 0
Run it by a local machine shop and see if they can drill & tap a small hole for a screw & jam nut inside the remaining shaft,
if they can your back in business !
just a thought !!

good luck !
 
DaChief said:
Not a good trip so far to Clearwater. The beaches are sanded in big time with the wind coming out of the west. I have found nothing and tonight, I was getting set to go out for a night hunt at low tide just after midnight. I was mounting my Infinium on my waist belt when I let is slip out of my hands at waist high over a concrete floor. You wouldn't know that old iron hands was a star wide receiver back in the day. Of all things, it landed on the power knob snapping the power knob shaft flush with the face of the machine. These things are built like little Army Tanks but all that weight hitting from that height snapped it right off. I can't win the lottery but I can drop a detector at the right height and probably the only angle that would break that shaft. What a trip so far. Now I am limited to my Minelab Sovereign Elite and out of the water hunt for the duration of the week unless I can figure a fix to be ablet to turn that shaft. The shaft broke flush with the face of the machine so that keeps me from gripping it with anything to turn it. It is also smooth at the surface. Since this is the power knob, it has a distinct pressure click when you turn it to power on the machine. This causes more pressure than a threshold or discriminate knob. Superglue is not an option. Any suggestions would be appreciated but I am thinking I am done for this trip in the water.

Garrett has a top notch customer service department so it will be fixed fine when I can get it to them. It was due for a servicing anyway.

Snakebit on this trip so far.

DaChief!!!



If its plastic just for now you could heat up a small screw driver then press it into the plastic shaft making it a phillips head, then carry a small driver in ya pocket!
 
Without seeing it, it sounds like either of those 2 suggestions might do the job.
Hope it works out for you!
Mike
 
Long nose pliers :-\
 
Since you messed it up a service repair is the only thing that will convince you that you aren't wasting your time detecting after you get it back. At least with Garrett it will be fixed right.
 
If the other two suggestions arent feasible, a tiny dab of JB Weld would surely be a good temp fix... make a few small scratches in both surfaces to be joined, a touch of JB Weld, and it will hold for a long time... Super Glue (I find) is useless in many situations like this... I have never had JB Weld fail me...
 
Even if you have to go to cheap store .... drill 4-40 drill bit, tap, vice grip pliers, and Hacksaw to cut screw.
1) drill and tap inner plastic shaft into control (close to center as possible).... 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep,
2) tap the hole for 4-40 thread
3) squirt superglue into hole and insert 4-40 screw --- do not overtighten or break control
4) cut off screw with hacksaw blade ... even cheapo plastic handle unit will work
5) now drill, and tap shaft section still in knob (be very careful to center hole)
6) superglue and thread back down knob and piece of control shaft onto control shaft with screw thread sticking up
be sure to dab a little super glue on mating surface WITH A TOOTHPICK before screwing down tight -- but DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH SUPER GLUE AS TO RUN OUT AND FOUL CONTROL OPERATION
7) let it dry at least 2 hours before manipulating control on-off switch

Have also drilled hole completely through control IF SHAFT EXTENDS TO BACK OF CONTROL --- CHECK FIRST
Have done this before --- temp fix if electronics shop or TV REPAIR SHOP in area may be able to replace control for you if you can open detector.
 
Here's the best solution.....sniffle & cry a lot, find someone (a friend perhaps) to remind your other half that it's nearly Father's Day. Now what would be a better Father's Day gift in such a situation? "Be Prepared! Always Have a Plan!" :headbang:
 
DaChief : you could rent a detector at Bill Jacksons , they have Excal 1000s for rent but I think it is kind of expensive but maybe you will get rich detecting - just kinding - good luck - Cavedweller
 
Just can't stinkin' win sometimes... hope you figure things out. :-\
At least you've still got another detector to use!

Bran <><
 
I second the JB Weld suggestion...that stuff is amazing! I've used it for many different things including connecting a broken throttle cable in a Jeep back together, that stuff makes a really strong bond!
 
Send it in.Just to make sure the O-rings on the shaft are
OK.Why take a chance.Overnight it if you have to.That
way they can check it all out and pressure test it.Worth
the effort.Good luck with it.HH Joe
 
The drill and tap thing may actually work. Also could take it apart turn it on and just take the battery out to turn it of and on the rest of the trip. Put it in the tub or some fresh water first to make sure it does not leak before you get it in the salt. Get salt water in there and you are done.

Jason
 
Thanks to everyone for their time. I am going to give the JB Weld a try I think. I was at Home Depot tonight and bought a "Back Out" bit to try that but when I got here to the Condo, the bit was too big. The shaft is just not that big at all.

Not the end of the world though. I am going to be playing in a Texas Hold'em Tournament tomorrow night at the Hard Rock. Maybe I will win enough to buy me a whole new rig.

Last month while here on buisness, I played in four tournaments and won every one of them. Did well but forgot to remove my winnings from my billfold and Mama found the stash!!!

Thanks again to everyone. I am going to hit the low tide tonight with the Sovereign Elite for a couple of hours.

Take Care.

DaCheif!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom