Is there such a thing as a hand powred dredge instead if using one with a moter

glassbutterfly

Greenie
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend and I have been working a river in a public park. It is not a state park so is not a protected area. We have been getting a speck of gold here and there by diging and panning. We know more gold is deeper down. We also know that a dredge will work more gravel than panning. I was hoping if we could build some kind of hand powered dredge we might not be affected by all the hasle of laws and permitting of a moterised dredge. Is this just a bunch of wish full thinking that will not work? Any advice?

Nope only thing that compares to a motorized dredge is gravity dredging ; but only where there is enough head to make it work .. Other then that any idea are slim ..

Last edited:
Thank you for comments. The hand powered pump from Gold N Sand might work. I will look in to it further.

Hand suction dredge works pretty good.. Even snorkeling under water... I have found gold using one!you can even find instructions on line on how to make one...

You would move more dirt with a shovel than with a hand dredge. But a hand dredge, if built properly, would allow you to clean the bedrock pretty good. They are simple to make, 2 check valves, a piece of hose and some PVC pipe and fittings. I think I made mine for about $35.

a 2inch or even a 3 inch hose gravity dredge set up properly leading into a highbanker / sluice can solve wonderous problems where no motorized equipment is allowed. experience has proved that even a simple garden hose set up on a dredge hole location,... still working over nite ,,.. with a bobbing action to keep bouncing and dragging the bottom almost similar to a pool bottom cleaner , can dredge work like,.." auto pilot" .... Come back,... the next day and clean out your riffles and sluice mats ,.. restart your siphon and go home and process your cons . Classify, Roast , grind , pan your cons . Find moss along the river bank for easy " Float Gold" . If you come up with no colors - move your auto dredge unit somewhere else and set up - auto dredge again . repeat process explained above . These helps even sweeter if you own the stream & stream bank property .. PORTADRILLMINI GOLD DRILLER www.portadrillmini.com.JPGmoss gold +100 mesh photo.JPGFloat Gold - inside bottom view of a purple coffee cup.  Gold Driller  www.portadrillmini.com.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back