What's new

Is this a button???

dirtdigger1581

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
591
Reaction score
270
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume this is a button, but I've never found one like it. Can anyone shed a little light on it for me and let me know how old it might be. Thanks for your help!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate
 

Attachments

  • 02-18-12button.webp
    02-18-12button.webp
    42 KB · Views: 369
  • 02-18-12Button2.webp
    02-18-12Button2.webp
    36 KB · Views: 408
  • 02-18-12Button3.webp
    02-18-12Button3.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 409
It's a domed stud/tack/mount.............can date very early I find them on late 1600's sites & through out the 1700's.Here's some oldies like I come across pic below...........And this site below will show you many forms.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=45
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0017.webp
    IMG_0017.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I typed the following reply several hours ago but my computer was acting strangely and I had to wait for my wife to remedy the problem before I could post.

-----------------

Not a clothing-button. Note that the projection on the back looks like a square-nail. You did not tell us the disc's size, so I cannot tell whether it is a luggage "foot", or a trunk skidder, or a furniture-upholstery decorative tack (some were much larger than today's tacks).

In view of the two purely "decorative" circular grooves on its front, it is unlikely to be a carpetbag foot/skidder.

Here are two photos showing to show you what a trunk skidder is. The skidder is somewhat domed, to enable the trunk to slide easily across a hard flat floor. A carpetbag foot is basically the same thing. Many modern-era chairs also have a (steel) "skidder" disc on the bottom of each leg. That being said, your one-piece cast heavy brass luggage/trunk-skidder is from the 1700s or 1800s.
 

Attachments

  • trunk-skid-discs_Ebay.webp
    trunk-skid-discs_Ebay.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 669
  • trunk-skid-discs_closeup_Ebay.webp
    trunk-skid-discs_closeup_Ebay.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
With out no size on yours this one looks close in ways.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=14661&cat=45
Also this site is very good on other types you may come across being your digging in suffolk were the history has been around for some time.
http://smcm.academia.edu/SaraRivers..._18th-Century_Leather_Ornaments_from_Maryland

I agree...This looks very similar to the one I found. I would say this is about the same size as the one I found as well. I'm at work right now so I can't measure it, but I'd bet it's close to an inch in diameter. So 29mm like the one in the photo is pretty close. The only difference in mine compared to the one in the photo is that mine doesn't have the nipple shape to it. It's just domed. Thanks for the help!
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
I typed the following reply several hours ago but my computer was acting strangely and I had to wait for my wife to remedy the problem before I could post.

-----------------

Not a clothing-button. Note that the projection on the back looks like a square-nail. You did not tell us the disc's size, so I cannot tell whether it is a luggage "foot", or a trunk skidder, or a furniture-upholstery decorative tack (some were much larger than today's tacks).

In view of the two purely "decorative" circular grooves on its front, it is unlikely to be a carpetbag foot/skidder.

Here are two photos showing to show you what a trunk skidder is. The skidder is somewhat domed, to enable the trunk to slide easily across a hard flat floor. A carpetbag foot is basically the same thing. Many modern-era chairs also have a (steel) "skidder" disc on the bottom of each leg. That being said, your one-piece cast heavy brass luggage/trunk-skidder is from the 1700s or 1800s.

I appreciate your help in identifying this for me. I would say between you and Timekiller I have my answer. Some kind of tack/mount and being from the 1700s-1800's is right in line with other items I've found at this field. Some items dating into the 1600's. Thanks for your help!
 
Upvote 0
I forgot to mention... as seen in Timekiller's photo, the head on the domed brass tacks tend to be 1/2" in diameter or smaller. The carpetbag/luggage/trunk skidder-discs' head tend to be 3/4-inch diameter or larger.
 
Upvote 0
Just to clear up my pics. Alot of those in my hand are leather mounts with two prongs on the back.But I posted them for you to be aware of cause the type you found are normally found with these types.Anyway good day to you guy's. :coffee2: Think I'll load up & do some looking today myself it's been awhile. 8) The post below will show some better pics.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,437282.0.html
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom