What's new

Is This A Cob?

mbondr1

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Bought a small lot of uncleaned Spanish copper cops. I enjoy cleaning old coins even if most of them are just slugs. Many of the cobs turned out to be fairly interesting, but I found this. Rampant lion? Is this English?
 

Attachments

  • coin1.webp
    coin1.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 483
  • coin2.webp
    coin2.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 468
Thank You!

I couldn't find any pictures with rampant lions alone. On quartered shields, but not singular. I wonder if it's counterfit? I didn't recognise the castles as such. Debased copper instead of silver I've read about, but the impression on the coin does seem to be a little inept when I compare it to the pictures you supplied.
 
if its a counterfeit its a good one! a lot of times the fake cobs have very sharp lines. this one looks worn.
 
Actually I ment a period counterfit. One would think though that counterfiters wouldn't bother with pennies. But then again, maybe they had a surplus of copper.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom