What's new

Is this a colonial era Adze or mattock or?

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys think?
 

Attachments

  • 015.webp
    015.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 871
  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 635
  • 018.webp
    018.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 639
Re: Is this a colonial era hoe?

It is very old, could be colonial, but it is probably an Adze (spelling)?? A tool for shaping timbers. Looks too thick to be a hoe. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is this a colonial era hoe?

I don't think it's either one (adz or plantation hoe) in my opinion.Here's a couple hoes & a adz I found don't look like it to me.But the last pic. I'll post does remind me of it a little.So I'll say some kind of eyelet off farm machinery or like wise.Around were I hunt near the water and I find them pieces like that from sailing scooners for rigging and sorts.
Take Care,
Pete :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0536.webp
    IMG_0536.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0537.webp
    IMG_0537.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0538.webp
    IMG_0538.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0539.webp
    IMG_0539.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 610
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Is this a colonial era hoe?

Thanks Tony in SC & Timekiller. I was looking in one of my books and I found pictures of adzes and mattocks that were excavated from American Revolution camp sights. Pic 3 looks similar to mine and it is an adze which is suppose to be more curved and sharper than a mattock. Mine has a slight curve and a tapered edge that you can tell was sharp at one time. I'm still not sure that's what it is so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 719
Upvote 0
Re: Is this a colonial era hoe?

that aint no hoe!! Doesnt look like IP what so ever :laughing7:
Oh boy I know Iam gonna pay for this ,Merry Christmas :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Is this a colonial era hoe?

They aren't called Ho's anymore you've got to be P.C. they are Digging Implements :tongue3: Oh and I think #3 is a winner :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
6
Views
831
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom