What's new

Is this a flare cartridge? Weird brass cap looking thing.

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first dug this today, I thought it was a flare cartridge, but I'm not really sure what it is now. It's extremely heavy for its size, so I thought the dirt on the inside was causing the weight. I tapped it several times on the shovel handle, but couldn't get the dirt out. When I got it home, I soaked it, but the dirt still would not come out. I tried picking it out with a small screw driver, then an ice pick and noticed most of what was coming out was jet black, and it attracted a magnet. The dirt or whatever black particles inside are not rusted, so it is not iron. The metal on this casing is so thick/strong, I cannot open it any further with a large screw driver. I'll put it in a vice tomorrow to get a better grip. The base is slightly larger than a penny. Any thoughts on this one will be appreciated. :dontknow: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BrassCap1.webp
    BrassCap1.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 290
  • BrassCap2.webp
    BrassCap2.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 322
  • BrassCap3.webp
    BrassCap3.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 331
  • BrassCap4.webp
    BrassCap4.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 339
  • BrassCap5.webp
    BrassCap5.webp
    8 KB · Views: 316
Strange, sounds like a battery casing from what you describe coming out of it. Also might be a rim fire: or look around the bottom edges for a pin: pin fire cartage.

Then there is the lipstick cover possibility also.
 
Upvote 0
Casings have more of a pronounced lip for extraction from the chamber, maybe the tip to something?
 
Upvote 0
The black stuff does sound like carbon from a battery...but the brass throws me.

Al
 
Upvote 0
Some early electronic devices also had brass casings . Capacitor casing possibly also.
 
Upvote 0
Hi Breezie;
I pegged it as one end of a "cartridge" type electrical fuse. The kind that had a glass or rolled paper center section.
Glad that someone is getting out. It finally warmed up here, but the wind is blowing rocks around the yard. We havn't had a drop of rain in three months and the ground is like concrete. I went by the lake yesterday and saw some catfish with ticks hanging off them.
 
Upvote 0
kenley said:
I pegged it as one end of a "cartridge" type electrical fuse. The kind that had a glass or rolled paper center section.

yeah fuze cap, I find a lot of them here for some reason.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to all who replied. I agree with Kenley, I do think it is a cartridge type electrical fuse after looking at the pics of those fuses. Al are the carbon arc rods basically fuses? I can green check this one, and toss the fuse. ;D Breezie

PS: Kenley, ticks on the catfish; now that is some dry weather! LOL
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the end off a fuse for a breaker switch. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom