What's new

Is this a fossil

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2015
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
2,922
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Found in Arizona. At first glance I thought it was a fossilized Cypress Knee. Nah.

It is 4 inches tall and some sort of stone. Any help?

ARIZ..webp
 

Attachments

  • ARIZ.2.webp
    ARIZ.2.webp
    297.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I do not believe this is a worked piece. Check out the second pic the site has allowed me to upload.
 
Upvote 0
Try posting on the gems and minerals forum. Steve is on there from AZ and knows his stuff. Gary
 
Upvote 0
It could be a cypress knee. Do people find petrified cypress wood in the area? The center looks odd, I think, because the hollow knee filled in with muck before petrifying. The outer edge is the wood. It all was turned to stone over time. IMO.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. I do not believe this is a worked piece. Check out the second pic the site has allowed me to upload.

My first thought when I saw your second pic was a 'petrified antler'? :dontknow:
It almost looks like bone to me?
 
Upvote 0
It could be a cypress knee. Do people find petrified cypress wood in the area? The center looks odd, I think, because the hollow knee filled in with muck before petrifying. The outer edge is the wood. It all was turned to stone over time. IMO.

Cypress Knees
“Swamp cypress tree (Taxodium distichum) knees are woody projections that sprout above water level, growing vertically from the knobby roots of bald cypress trees.”


Southeast Georgia cypress knees - raw. All these knees were harvested from the Southern Waters property, on the Ogeechee River outside of Savannah, GA.
 

Attachments

  • il_570xN.1923955147_7egh.webp
    il_570xN.1923955147_7egh.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
I have three at home in my garden I harvested in Florida. Annoying when you hit them with your airboat.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom