🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a genuine glass floater?

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
So I am beachcomber... I have to admit that. I like walking on beaches and finding stuff. I have found anything one would excpect to find on a beach and even many unexpected finds have landed in my collection.
Living in the Mediterranean I never hoped to find something like a glass floater, like the ones so many lucky beachcombers in places all over the world often find and I am enviously seeing online.
Last week I once again took a long beachcombing walk and on top of a cement bank built for swimmers along a small cove, nested inside a thick undisturbed bed of pine needles was this glass orb, 12cm (4 inches) in diameter. Other stuff washed up by the waves were on this needle bed but the orb was inside ot, partially covered.
The glass has a light blue hue, many bubbles are inside the glass. There is no typical ''knob'' like I saw on images online, on the ''normal'' glass floaters sealing those. The closure looks handmade like a twist in the glass, there are no mold marks and the orb looks mouthblown. Please can anyone tell me if you can if this could be a genuine glass floater or a if it's a so called fancy, curio or decorative glass sphere.

(anyway I like my find so much, even if it's just a ''floater'' that I already display it inside a macrame net that fits it almost perfectly)

floater1.jpg
floater2.jpg

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
I have grand kids that leave floaters in my glass and they don’t look anything like your picture. On a more serious note, I’ve seen several of those in stores up and down the PNC coast and I was always told they were off of Japanese fishing nets.

Upvote 2

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well, the Japanese ones were mostly made from recycled saki bottles and are light blue but they do come in green and other colors too.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
I have grand kids that leave floaters in my glass and they don’t look anything like your picture. On a more serious note, I’ve seen several of those in stores up and down the PNC coast and I was always told they were off of Japanese fishing nets.
hahaha

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread