Is this a "HOT ROCK"

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Is this a "HOT ROCK"

If the detector screams "pick me,pick me" then I call it a "Hot Rock". However it does not look like the ones I found in the Tulameen. Which reminds me,I still have to get a sample for labrat. Fred

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a "HOT ROCK"

Have you put a magnet to it? If it sticks, it's a hot rock, if it doesn't, I'd see about checking the inside with a rock saw.

A

Anonymous

Is this a "HOT ROCK"

Any sulfide formed and visible such as you described when pointing out the the "yellow coloring" indicates the presence of Iron. The more famous yellowish tinged sulfide is the cubist pyrite sulfide. However, not all sulfides are in cubist configurations.

Iron will make a metal detector sing in all metals mode.

The good news is that discovering the presence of a sulfide is not all bad news.

Many gold deposits and silver locations, be they gossans or deposits are heralded by locating sulfides when doing grab sampling.

Nice photo and nice labelling. Got some sophisticated graphics toys I see.
FUN FUN FUN

Keep swinging that MD

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is this a "HOT ROCK"

Can you tell if it looks volcanic or sedimentary in origin? I have seen very dark to black rocks of both types that I would consider 'hot'. On some of the beaches here I have seen rocks of clay origin that holler in all-metal but just sit quiet in descrimination. I suspect this is caused by microscopic magnetite. Volcanic lava and porphries can also do this, but these rarely contain visible free quartz. I have never encountered sulfides (ie pyrite) that make my detector go off, but it isn't a Garrett, so there might be sensitivity differences. Sorry I can't be much more help than this without examining the rock firsthand. You might take it to a college in your area and ask the opinion of someone in their geology dept.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread