lastscan#1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 586

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Try blowing your pictures up some so we can see it, and post it in the meteorites forum. I'm sure someone there will be able to help. Although a positive ID is rarely made by photos, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction for getting one. :)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is a meteorite, yes. But there's a lot of metal on earth that got here before we had an atmosphere. That's why we mine copper, tin, zinc, iron, silver, gold, etc. out of the ground. Bogs even form iron nodules from natural sources.

Upvote 0

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
there are several tests you can do at home for a meteorite.

First is a magnet, does it show strong magnetism.
Also, is it porous or oes it have small cavities? Meteorites don't.
the other one was a little stranger of a test.
Rub the specimen across a tile of unglazed white porcelain (I have seen this done at the Tucson Gem and Mineral show with the inside of the top of a toilet tank) and note the color of the streak. A fresh (not heavily weathered) surface of a meteorite will leave no streak, but Be careful that you are not getting a streak from the weathering.

It also may be magnetite, melted metal, or a host of other things. Let me know what the tests conclude .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Edong

Aug 2, 2005
california
thank you guys, yes it is magnetize, and i rub it to a bathroom tile it leave a silvery line, hope to hear more from you guys thanks Ed

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Edchato said:
thank you guys, yes it is magnetize, and i rub it to a bathroom tile it leave a silvery line, hope to hear more from you guys thanks Ed

Magnetite. Meteors leave no streak, Hematite a reddish streak, Magnetite a grayish streak.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread