🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a Minieball?

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
The bullet on the right is minieball I dug a week ago. Comparing it to examples other people have dug, and reproductions I own, I am fairly certain it is a standard .58 caliber minieball. The bullet on the left was found this summer. At the time, I thought it was a normal minieball, and its shorter length could be attributed to different manufacturing techniques or its tip being deformed. However, after comparing these two bullets side by side, I'm positive the bullet on the left is not a standard bullet made for the Springfield rifled musket. Is this a correct assessment? Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_195454816.jpg
    IMG_20221218_195454816.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
Interesting. I was aware they made different calibers. I believe there was also a .54 minieball for example. I didn't realize they made .58 caliber bullets in different lengths though. Is there any way the length of the bullet can be used to determine the model of gun it would have been issued with or which side of the War would have most likely used them?
They both look like CW minie balls to my eye.

There were many different sizes and calibers used by both sides.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

MineEyes92

Oct 29, 2022
Alright. The bullet on the left is just under an inch in length, just over half an inch in diameter, and .9 ounces. The bullet on the right is 1.1 ounces, just over an inch in length, and half an inch in diameter. I should note the bullet on the left had a much more deformed skirt that made exact measuring difficult. Hope that helps.
Yes, it is a minie ball. They were made by both the North and South, from numerous molds. If you can get the length, diameter and weight I can look it up.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread