What's new

Is this a tooth and what's in from

462

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
312
Reaction score
627
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found what I believe is a tooth, in western South Dakota. I want to find out what it's from or what it is if not a tooth.

20160822_191819.webp
20160822_191827.webp
20160822_191903.webp

with other teeth and unidentified objects found in the same area.
20160822_192030.webp

Quarter for size reference.
20160822_192155.webp
 
Looks like one. Sorry, unable to identify.
 
looks crocodilian
 
Are you sure it is not a nail? Like finger nail... looks cupped like a nail.

I have no idea what I am talking about though... grain of salt.
 
Are you sure it is not a nail? Like finger nail... looks cupped like a nail.

I have no idea what I am talking about though... grain of salt.

The smooth parts that may appears to be cupped is actually convex and looks like it's worn from contact with a similar surface.
 
looks crocodilian

I think you might be right. looking at other fossil crocodile teeth they appear to be similarly broken off with no root attached and they also have the same type small lines on them. I think this one may have been rubbing against another tooth which caused it to wear smooth on one side.
 
Could be a claw/ nail...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom