What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED is this Agate? looks like glass

dinahmoe3

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 6, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
i've been collecting these now for a couple of years. they are only found in one spot on our property. i started finding what I thought was glass shards in the creek sporadically and finally found the source. it is about 15 feet down from our spring and only in the ground of an area no bigger than four feet wide. I have dug the bank and find them sticking out as well.thats when I found the glass shards being made in the chunks of dirt. I think its because of the mound of dirt on the hillside washing down. the dirt is white then gritty yellow then turns to a thick gray clay. the glass forms before the clay level and wash down the creek. they are colored from blue to yellow to white and I've even found a green. I don't have any more of that type of dirt along the creeks anywhere on the property and I have about 4 or 5 creeks but they all stem from this one spring. I have 71 acres and its also loaded with native American artifacts if that matters.
IMG_0627.webpIMG_0641.webpIMG_0611.webpIMG_0612.webpIMG_0613.webpIMG_0614.webpIMG_0620.webpIMG_0622.webpIMG_0608.webpIMG_0624.webpIMG_0605.webpIMG_0609.webp
 
I agree, chalcedony. You could easily tumble those, or cut and polish them into cabs. That’s a neat find.👍🏻
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the stuff you'd find in a stone tool quarry site. Ive been to some sites in Nevada and the southwest and you'd see pieces like what you're finding scattered about.
 
Upvote 0
It has that "plasticky" look of common Opal to me.
 
Upvote 0
thanks for the help,
its just strange to me that they are only found in that one small area.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom