Is this an artifact, fossil or just a plain rock?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is posted on the what is it board and was told that the readers on this board might be able to help me better. I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

I had part of my property bulldozed for landscaping reasons and was walking the freshly opened ground and found this rock. If it wasn't broken, it would be a sphere. I have seen a lot of strange rocks in the past but nothing like this one. The mark close to the top in the first pic looks like some sort of rock boring beetle got to it. ;D Any ideas will be helpful. While walking the open ground I also found pieces of very old blue glass and pieces of a stoneware type of crock/jug. The hematite that I found a couple of weeks ago was found about 1/4 of a mile from where this rock was found, if that has any bearing. Arrow heads have been found within two hundred yards of where this rock was found plus I have found a couple of fossils in a seasonal creek bed less than one hundred yards of where this rock was found (I am leaving all possibilities open for the time being).

Thanks,
Doug

roundrock001.jpg

roundrock002.jpg

roundrock003.jpg

Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be just a rock and the mark was an inclusion of a softer material that eroded away, or maybe some type of rock beetle (heehee) Somebody on here will figure it out though. Sometimes look at an artifact and try to figure out what you would use it for and that helps. One use for round rocks in historic and pre-historic times was for shaping rattles. Wet rawhide would be formed around them and allowed to dry, then the rock was removed and the rawhide was sewn together, small gravel placed inside and a handle attached. Most everybody uses gourds, calumet baking powder cans, or even Garrett snuff cans nowadays. If they want an older more traditional look they will use rawhide, but it's a lot of work. Cool find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think just a geo fact but an interesting one at that. I pick them all up. Good luck

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It probably is a geofact. I just had not seen any circular/sphere shaped ones like this before. I like it no matter what it is.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread