Is this calcite?

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this hiking yesterday. Love how many small fractures are on the host rock and how the river started to eat away the crystal formation. It also has a rusty color in the center of the crystal formation. I think this is calcite but if I'm wrong I would like to know because I'm new to this hobby and trying to learn as I go.

riverfind.jpg

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from the pic,but calcite is very soft, if you can scratch it with ease then its likely calcite, if not easy to scratch then its likely quartz

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WaProspecting

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems hard and also the stone on top is stuck. I just tried scratching it with my fishing clippers and it barely left a mark. Most likely quartz but never found it on the host rock this far down river, especially without it being rounded. Most of the time its a rounded pebble and the host rock is missing or also rounded. I wonder if there's a deposit close by that I don't know about.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz is everywhere, and small stringers will fill those fractures in the host,calcite can also,but if tried scratching it with steel and was difficult then its likely quartz, steel would scratch calcite with ease probably deeper than intended

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread