OP
OP
J

Jeff Alexander

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add that the obverse is the Hapsburg shield inscription "PHILIPP(unclear)II DEI GRATIA", and the reverse is a cross with the inscription "HISPANIARVM ET INDIARVM (unclear).

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My first thought is that Mexico didn't produce ESCUDOS during either P II's or P III's reign; not until Carlos II. If wrong, pls. forgive.
However, Mexico did mint a 4 REALES coin N.D. with the assayer letter 'F' during the reign of F III.

Don.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff Alexander

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply, Don. I do realize that officially Mexico city did not mint gold coins until 1579. 2 Gold cobs minted in 1550 in Mexico city were found off of the coast of Florida. They did not have the Monarch's name on them, but it shows that gold coins were made earlier, though unofficially.

This coin is definitely Gold, it has a diameter of 31mm, and weighs .44 troy ounces. The assayer is unclear, but looks like an F to me (could be wrong), but the Monarch is definitely either Philip II or III. The denomination looks like a 1 which i believe would make it a 4 escudo piece.

I know that it is not supposed to be possible, but I was looking for any information that anyone had on the possibility that a coin like this was minted for any particular reason.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Alexander

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F = Francesco de Morales Assayer for Mexico City 1578-1610 under both Philip II and III.
I will try and post a picture soon.
Does anyone hav any more information on what is possible for this time period?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Jeff, you might want to post your query on ColonialCobs.com. There are members there that do not frequent TNet. Be patient, as it doesn't receive the traffic that TNet does.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Alexander

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diver down. I think I will do that. I will update all with the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions