digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Buddy of mine gave me this the other day. He told me he was told it could be lightening sand. Supposedly what happens to sand when hit by lightening.

It was found in Kankakee county in Illinois, and in sand.

Any thoughts?

DSCF2160.jpg DSCF2162.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not appear to be a fulgerite, your lightning sand. Fulgerite's take a number of forms and have a glassy/melted appearance. In sand they often have the shape of lighting, dentritic, and you can see the sand fussed into the glass they are formed in. I'm not ruling it out but your specimen seems more like a nodule of something else.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
It does not appear to be a fulgerite, your lightning sand. Fulgerite's take a number of forms and have a glassy/melted appearance. In sand they often have the shape of lighting, dentritic, and you can see the sand fussed into the glass they are formed in. I'm not ruling it out but your specimen seems more like a nodule of something else.

Thanks DD. From the pictures I had seen, it didn't look like the specimen. Thanks again:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics are a little blurry, when I look at it, I am thinking it looks like a stream worn milky quartz cluster. If it is calcite instead, a quick test with vinegar or will decide that. If no bubbling, try a hardness test?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions