What's new

is this old and is it worth it ?

Looks french. cant tell the model without better pic of handle. A guess would be 1896.
sorry meant 1869 but anyways 1860s
 
Upvote 0
Crap. All I see is a black thing with some squiggles on a bed sheet and you guys are giving a time period and a country. I gotta get glasses or something. :tongue3:

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Best I could do with it.
 

Attachments

  • bayonet.webp
    bayonet.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 581
  • bayonet.webp
    bayonet.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 577
Upvote 0
I'm with Daryl. I need glasses, too.
 
Upvote 0
i offerd 20 and would pic it up tonight ....lets see ............if i get a email
 
Upvote 0
I dont know how people expect to sell something with such horrible pics.
 
Upvote 0
I guess the same way people here want an ID with a little fuzzy image. ;D

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Spooky said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know how people expect to sell something with such horrible pics.

I see this a lot. To them it's just some "big knife'

These are the people who ALSO buy 50.00 "samurai swords" from gun shows and think "Uncle Jimmy's KofC sword" was a Civil War cavalry saber.
Very true. Sometimes they save the replica and sell the real antiquity.

Im tempted to buy off some of these seller types because a treasure may be hiding but I wonder if they are hiding something with a bad picture.
 
Upvote 0
I guess the same way people here want an ID with a little fuzzy image.

Daryl



i didn't need to be put down by you ........i don't know where you get off Daryl .....just asking a question . if you don't have nothing nice to say you don't say anything .........pine
 
Upvote 0
From the pic it does looks like an 1860's sabre bayonet. If it is civil war it would be worth at least a couple hundred dollars. If it's later it will be worth less.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
From the pic it does looks like an 1860's sabre bayonet. If it is civil war it would be worth at least a couple hundred dollars. If it's later it will be worth less.
A model 1866 would have nothing to do with the U.S. civil war witch ended in 1865 "for most".
 
Upvote 0
I realize the civil war ended in 1865 but they had sabre bayonets like that in the civil war. Since the pic is blurry it is hard to tell exactly what it is. If you noticed I put it would be worth less if it was post civil war. So I'm saying it is possibly later.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I realize the civil war ended in 1865 but they had sabre bayonets like that in the civil war. Since the pic is blurry it is hard to tell exactly what it is. If you noticed I put it would be worth less if it was post civil war. So I'm saying it is possibly later.
Civil war sabre bayonets did not have that much curl on the guards witch is why I believe it to be french or french reproduction and pre and post french 66 models had straight blades. All of this can be seen even in a blurry pic. Not trying to be a jerk and Im certainly no expert just explaining my reasoning.
 
Upvote 0
Ok same here. Bayonets are not my area of expertise, that's for sure, but I did know they had sabre bayonets and not all were American made. I did not know about the curl on the guard. Thanks for the info.
 
Upvote 0
pinebarrens1 said:
I guess the same way people here want an ID with a little fuzzy image.

Daryl



i didn't need to be put down by you ........i don't know where you get off Daryl .....just asking a question . if you don't have nothing nice to say you don't say anything .........pine

Chill he was not putting you down.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Im tempted to buy off some of these seller types because a treasure may be hiding but I wonder if they are hiding something with a bad picture.

I've bought many of coin and other things doing that on eBay. Bad, blury, small images where the seller hasn't a clue as to what they have.

Some turned out to be authentic and very valuable coins.
One was a 18th century forgery (beautiful repro, but still worth more then I paid), one (non coin, but medallion) I bought for $25.00 and sold for $681.00 just last week.

I LOVE that kind of gambling, much better then going to the casino ;D
 
Upvote 0
Alchemy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Im tempted to buy off some of these seller types because a treasure may be hiding but I wonder if they are hiding something with a bad picture.

I've bought many of coin and other things doing that on eBay. Bad, blury, small images where the seller hasn't a clue as to what they have.

Some turned out to be authentic and very valuable coins.
I agree that a bad blurry picture almost always means an amatuer that hasnt got a clue. But it could just as well be junk. For instance, bad blurry pictures of Spanish cobs means it is junk. It is a gamble yes. You dont want to ask for better pics because you dont want to attract attention to other bidders.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom