What's new

Is this petrified wood or bone?

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this while metal detecting yesterday. At first i thought it was a cow bone or something but when i picked it up it was very heavy and felt like a rock. I dont know anything about fossils. Someone said the think its fossilized wood but im not sure.
 

Attachments

  • 20190330_200557.webp
    20190330_200557.webp
    630.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 20190330_200553.webp
    20190330_200553.webp
    756.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190330_200546.webp
    20190330_200546.webp
    786.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190330_195630.webp
    20190330_195630.webp
    521.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190330_195621.webp
    20190330_195621.webp
    611.4 KB · Views: 101
you did check it with a magnet first did'nt cha ?
 
you did check it with a magnet first did'nt cha ?

Yes. Not magnetic and the metal detector did not pick it up. It was just in the ground where i happened to be digging.
 
It doesn't appear to be.
 
Cool find looks like petrified wood to me
 
I don’t think it’s Pet. Wood. I don’t see any patterns on the end of the wood. You could cut a slice off one of the ends and take a picture of the cut edge while wet. It should show either cell structure or a growth pattern. I’m leaning more toward bone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom