Is this some sort of British miilitary button??

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this this yesterday in a sandy field that was producing buttons from the late colonial through Civil War period. Appears to have a crown at the top and a script "GR" across the bottom. It's very thin, though. Hopefuly someone will recognize and ID it for me. Thanks.

Attachments

• 110212e.JPG
    110212e.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 110212c.JPG
    110212c.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 85

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.....wish I could say for sure. Can't wait to see what the crew comes up with. That may just be a jaw dropper. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your 1-piece brass button's small size and octagonal shape indicate it is from a cufflink.

The best website I know of for ID-ing British Army (and Navy) buttons is the Colchester (England) Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting club's website.
Militarynamedregs
At that website, buttons showing two Manuscript letters "GR" (for Georgius Rex, meaning King George) with a British crown above the letters tend to be Royal Engineers buttons.

Being a British Military 1-piece brass button, I think it dates from sometime around the War-of-1812 ...although it may be somewhat earlier. (Most of the Revolutionary War era British buttons were made of pewter.)

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it's proberbly part of a cufflink, and a very nice find.:icon_thumleft:

SS