What's new

Is this what they call a 1937 three legged nickle ?

RTR

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
8,197
Reaction score
32,494
Golden Thread
0
Location
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
***********
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I see 3 legs,sometimes I see 4 depending on the angle viewed :dontknow:
036.webp
035.webp
 
Sometimes I see 3 legs,sometimes I see 4 depending on the angle viewed :dontknow:View attachment 2001553View attachment 2001554
The "3-Legged" 1937D nickel is missing the lower part of the buffalo's right front leg , or the "front" one. Your picture appears to show the buffalo's left front leg missing. It is hard to tell about the back of the Indian's neck in your photo...in an authentic 3-Legger, the back of the neck has a lot of small pitting, yours appears smooth, but uneven.
 

Attachments

  • 1937-D-3-Legs-5c-PCGS53.webp
    1937-D-3-Legs-5c-PCGS53.webp
    195.4 KB · Views: 89
The "3-Legged" 1937D nickel is missing the lower part of the buffalo's right front leg , or the "front" one. Your picture appears to show the buffalo's left front leg missing. It is hard to tell about the back of the Indian's neck in your photo...in an authentic 3-Legger, the back of the neck has a lot of small pitting, yours appears smooth, but uneven.
Thanks for the input. So your seeing what I'm seeing, a 'missing left front' leg on my coin ?:icon_scratch:
 
As Dave mentioned, the official 3 leg buffalo is missing the right front leg (but still leaving the hoof). Yours looks to me as damage and wear causing the wear on the left front leg.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom