Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir mine is doing the same thing.................... NOTE BUT after i checked all my other detectors the 1500 and the Sovereign they did the same thing also.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i think i'd let garrett know about this problem...that shouldn't be doin that, that would drive me crazy in about 2 minutes.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
synthnut, this is not a real issue, this a perfect normal behavior for a very SENSITIVE metal detector working perfectly in a RF rich environment, in air, inside a building wired up like a powerhouse. It is NOT indicative of your hot-spot metal detecting grounds in the ole' abandoned amusement park out in the woods near Someplace, Earth. Some would say it is not working perfectly, but they do not know the facts. In your video, the unwitting metal detector does not know that there is no Earth one or two inches below the coil. It is in air, no ground below, RF flying all over the place, it's like a fish outa water. Detectors are designed to work with the coil one or two above a planet, mainly Earth. Bring 'er out to the site, gb properly, keep it to the ground and man, it'll be smooth as silk and deep. Do not worry about this behavior. Many good quality sensitive metal detectors, and low quality non-sensitive metal detectors, do EXACTLY what you show.

Never forget, it's a Garrett. Try to do a video of this with the coil one or two inches off the ground after a good gb. You will see it is okay. Trust me. Your video is a good example of why you cannot get accurate results air testing on coins, especially inside buildings with 120VAC service running amok. Your video is a very good example of why you should not air test metal detectors indoors for any reason. It just aint gonna tell you nothin bout no detector performance.

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my coil will do that if i wobble it but in the field its not a problem it works great in the ground
no problems
like gleaner 1 said its a very sensitive detector
take it out hunting & watch it work :icon_thumright:
good hunting
walt
p.s its a coin & jewelry magnet :headbang:
synthnut said:
I'm wondering how many folks have an issue with their coils like I do ....Please check your coil and respond .....Thanks , Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOUojgqs5s

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro does the same thing in the house as does a lot of my other detectors but outside GB on the ground all strange sounds stop. The coil is an antenna and what do antenna's do?

OP
OP
S

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
gleaner1,
Thanks for your reply ..... I appreciate it ..... While the coil does calm down in a "real world " situation , it still continues to false when changing direction, scrubbing the coil , or bumping into anything ..... Some folks have told me to slow down, don't let your coil scrub, and don't bump into anything ....... This is hard to do when you have miles of beach to cover ...... I've had other machines that were less powerful , and also more powerful , than the AT Pro, and they have DD coils , and they do NOT exhibit this kind of behaviour .... Later today when the sun is out , I will do another demonstration far away from any homesite .... I agree that there will be much more interference when a detector is inside of a dwelling , but it would also be falsing and making a racket when sitting still ....This coil does not exhibit any problems when at rest ..... Thanks again, and I will get back to you with another demonstration .....Jim

Hi Walt ,
Do a ground balance , and then drop it down a bit from there , and see how you like the way it hit's coins !!....It's a MONSTER !!.....As I said, I have other more powerful and more sensitive machines that do not exhibit this behavior ...... The coil still works and finds targets, but is not optimum .....It could be more and not false ....Thanks, Jim

Garrett is aware of this issue and they say it's normal ...... ?????

OP
OP
S

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
Does anyone have an Ace 250, or an Ace 350 that exhibits this same coil issue ? .......and if they do exhibit the same issue , does anyone have a SEF coil that they put on their Ace ? .....Does it STILL exhibit the same issue ? .......Thanks , I appreciate it .....Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could contact Garrett for advice. Talk to:
Brad Keel
Customer Service - Tech Support
Garrett Metal Detectors
Ph: 972-494-6151 / 1-800-527-4011
Fax: 972-494-1881

http://www.garrett.com

Let us know the outcome.

OP
OP
S

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
Sandman
I already talked with Brad online .....He said that the issue was normal .......He did offer to let me send my machine back to Garrett and they would look at it ..... I have talked with numerous people and their machines are exhibitting the same behavior as mine is, but they are still using it ..... I sent an email to Brad indicating that there would be no sense in my sending my machine back to Garrett if they are in agreement that this is normal behavior ....... It is what it is , and will probably continue this way .... You can't fix something that you don't think is broken .....The fact that they consider this as "normal " behavior frankly surprises me .....I guess I expected more from my first Garrett machine ...... I guess it's a non issue since folks are getting some good finds .....I'm still getting some good finds , but have to slow down and make sure I don't bump anything .....Yes there are other coils and detectors that do this, but I think that the ones that don't far outweigh the ones that do , and I don't think that this is your typical scenario .....Some folks are pushing it off as being a very sensitive machine .... I agree , it is a sensitive machine, but if it were a sensitivity issue , it would be noisy at rest as well as moving about .... I will probably end up using the machine the way it is .... It's beginning to look like a non issue to a lot of people so I doubt anything will be done about it ....... Jim

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
synthnut said:
Does anyone have an Ace 250, or an Ace 350 that exhibits this same coil issue ? .......and if they do exhibit the same issue , does anyone have a SEF coil that they put on their Ace ? .....Does it STILL exhibit the same issue ? .......Thanks , I appreciate it .....Jim

I have a 250 with a 10x14 DD Excelerator coil. It's sensetive as heck to emf's. Around the house I would have to turn the sensitivity down or it would chatter. But, mine would do it even when the coil was still and not moving. Once I got away from power lines it was fine and I could even run at full sensitivity. A trip away from power sources may make a big difference for you.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
S

synthnut

Mar 8, 2010
Nyack NY
Swartzie ,
I totally agree with you, and understand what you are saying completely !!....This is the point I have been trying to make to folks on another forum ......If the coil is making noise because of electrical interference , it would chatter while at rest also .....The fact that the coil is quiet at rest , and falses when the direction is changed , or the coil is scrubbed on the ground , or when the coil is twisted in any manor , tells me that there is a coil issue going on here ..... Then eveyone tells me to send the machine back to Garrett , who is already telling me what I am experiencing is NORMAL !!.....They can't fix something that they say is working normally !! ..... So I will just wait until an aftermarket coil comes out , that does not false ......Either that or just hunt gingerly with the AT PRo and pretend that everything is OK ... Jim

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
whatever the problem is i hope its taken care of by garrett or there is another solution. i plan on gettin the AT pro in the next month or two as my water and beach machine and would hate for it to false from every wave that hits my coil or lower rod. this is one of the reasons i'm holding off until i hear more water reports

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Interesting post. The AT Pro is on my wish list, but I think this "Normal" problem would drive me nuts. I would like to find out if changing the coil solves this problem.

I can understand if you bump the coil and get a reaction, but not just waving it in the air like you did in your video.

Think I am going to take a wait and see position for the time being.

Thanks for sharing your video.

Ray S ECenFL

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog as Syths friend and hunting partner. The AT has been hunted outside and away from electrical interference. The fact that if you scrub or bump your coil on the sand it falses. At the end of your swings it falses etc. What you see in Syths vid is NOT EMI. Trust me i know i had a F75 for a long time.

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
like you have been told on other forums about this is why don't you and everybody else send them back to Garrett free of charge and have them check them out.if there that many bad ones out there and were all sent in Garrett would have to look into it faster then just a few complaining on forums.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
While you are still telling everyone how bad (you think) your detector is, there have been so many posts of people getting relics in hunted out places, getting great finds in and out of salt water such as gold rings & chains and for the coin hunters....lot of clad. If your machine is as bad as you think it is, please DO something about it and send it in. That's what warranties are for. How many more forums are you going to post this same scenario?

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John-Edmonton said:
While you are still telling everyone how bad (you think) your detector is, there have been so many posts of people getting relics in hunted out places, getting great finds in and out of salt water such as gold rings & chains and for the coin hunters....lot of clad. If your machine is as bad as you think it is, please DO something about it and send it in. That's what warranties are for. How many more forums are you going to post this same scenario?

Either that or go out and hunt with it instead of swinging it around in a garage! Maybe a person should try to learn how to use a machine before he starts running it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions