Re: Isn't it time we demanded support ?
I agree with MD Dog as far as who is causing us grief. A couple of the big box stores I've seen with low end detectors in them, Wally world, Dicks, etc.....seem all to carry the same line of machine.
Higher end manufacturers seem to find a different niche to sell to. My White's dealer has his machines locked in a display and offers demonstrations. He explains them. Granted, it's just a hobby store...but it says something for the dealers and manufacturers of better machines.
Ebay has also opened up a new way to purchase machines without any information...just like the big box stores. Quick sales, cheap prices.....uncaring people with the machines in their hands...hard to stop this trend.
Stuffing boxes with more forms and applications is just one more piece of paper someone will toss out.
A good start would be for manufacturers to put right in the directions for us...in VERY BIG WORDING, IN THE VERY FRONT, PROPER DIGGING TECHNIQUES!
In the beginning of the manuals...let people know this hobby is in danger because of reckless behavior.
This would ONLY be a start....there are a lot of steps that need to be taken to protect us from the careless, reckless, idiotic users that are slowly closing everything off to us.
I'm not one that makes waves and draws attention to the hobby. I play under the radar, don't ask officials whether I can or cannot play in the local park, hit the woods whenever I darn well feel like it.
But I do see the trend in other states that are blanketing everything with the "No Metal Detecting" rule.
There was a saying about the Jews during the war.
They took the Gypsies ........and I just watched.
They took the Jews.......and I just watched
They took the Poles.......and I just watched.
Then they came for me........and no one was left to stop them.
I for one haven't been involved with the FMDAC. I always seen them as an organization that sponsers events, researches laws and disseminates information. I don't see them as big fighters for our cause.
I know a lot of metal detector clubs support them...financially....but why aren't they trying to organize detectorists a little more than they do. Why aren't they spearheading something?
They could easily get mailing lists from dealers and manufacturers and they could be sending out info to new detectorist's.
If someone wants to start a good, responsible, logical fight....I'll jump right up to the front line..... The ones that should be in the lead are nowhere to be found.
I've stuck my neck out a few times in the past to try to get people mobilized for good causes. At first, people were gung-ho...but when it was soon discovered a little effort was involved.....they just figured someone else would do it and walked away.
I don't have the answers.
I've been involved in politics for the last 27 years and one sad fact is evident....people are apathetic.
And it's not just our hobby that has struggles. Astronomers have issues with light pollution and fight it vigorously...but they aren't much further ahead now than they were 20 years ago. A few small victories..... But....they don't have the opposing forces we do..archeologist's, parks departments, reckless md'ers......all working against us.
I've seen spirited discussions on the forums, gung-ho, teed-off people. But that's all it is...talk.
Whatever the answer...it's going to take time, resources and money.
I can't bad mouth FMDAC...but where have they been with all the recent bans...from an organization that takes hobbist's money and claim to have their best interest at heart? Eerily quiet.
I am going to look a little more closely at their web site......maybe they need a wake-up call.
Al
And MD Dog......there are aliens....
