What's new

Italian Lire

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,192
Reaction score
33,118
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to school in Italy in ‘84-‘85. They came out with a 500 lire coin in 1983. It was supposedly the first bimetal coin minted. They only made them in ‘83 and the coin has no date. When I was there, 500 lire was around .50-cents. These coins were used until Italy switched to the Euro in 2002. I ended up with 6 of them when I returned home. Two of the six are in mint condition. I doubt they will be worth much anytime soon but they ended up being good souvenirs. Lately I’ve seen more bimetal coins from other countries similar to these.
IMG_1426.webp
 
Nice looking coins, I like the contrast of the two metals.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom