IVAN HERRING - LOST MINES AND TREASURE

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I don't know, Samanthy. I own none. I don't know of any, nor do I know of what they contain. Can you provide a link to them?

OP
OP
S

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Amazon.com lists about a dozen of them, by state or region

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of books on treasure hunting but none by Herring. In general, books like these are loaded with fake stories that keep getting passed along from other books. Similar collections from Terry, Penfield, Jameson & others are probably 90% fake. There is a joke that if the story is in Thomas Terry's Atlas, it's fake. However, I'll grab one of Herring's and see if it's any different.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I received Herring's book on Oregon & Washington, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was not just a rehash of the Terry/Penfield/Jameson junk. Rather, each lead includes a reference to a newspaper article in support, and most articles were over 100 years old. And many of the mines include exact GPS coordinates. So even though some of the stories might still be fake, at least you get a solid lead that goes beyond an article in True Treasure magazine.

So, yeah, finally a "Lost Mines & Treasures" atlas that has value.

OP
OP
S

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks . I guess I’ll take a chance and buy one.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I seen his books out there and using the look inside feature on amazon realized he is doing what we do with our books, that being the old newspaper articles from long ago. They should be well worth taking the chance to buy one.
Similar collections from Terry, Penfield, Jameson & others are probably 90% fake according to Carl, but those are where we start our research going back in time to find the articles from the old newspapers. I would suspect IVAN HERRING is doing his in this manor. Still a lost mine story would have appeared many times in the newspapers, with accounts varying. An example is my work on the Lost Cabin of Wyoming, I searched and now have between 100 - 200 articles on it. Which one do I use? I plan on using them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread