I've not been skunked searching nearly 50 penny boxes...how bout you ?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some horrible luck you have there. Did you get 50 brand new 2017 cent boxes? I probably average 5-10 wheats per box when I get them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always gotten SOMETHING from a box, No die cracks, offsets, nothing? Unusual.

Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some horrible luck you have there. Did you get 50 brand new 2017 cent boxes? I probably average 5-10 wheats per box when I get them.

I'm pretty sure he's saying he never gets skunked with boxes of pennies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Mxh , I think you missread my title - I haven't been skunked since I started doing penny boxes ! I've come close .. I think I had a box with two wheaties .

Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went thru a box yesterday and got 7 wheats and about a dozen proof looking memorial cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pre '97 Canada are 98% copper. US coppers have ---Lams, O/C's, cracks, & look for Memorials with die clashes, cuds & greasers. pennies aren't just good for wheat & feathers.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way i have time or desire to search for all those anomalies p.e.a. ( I am in no way demeaning those of you who do !)

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I've gotten skunked maybe a half dozen times out of about 30 penny boxes. Most times they were CWR's that had already been searched for copper, once was a box of CWR that was 99.7% copper with no wheats, and one was a MWR box with 99% zinc with no wheats. I posted here about the last 2 boxes, way back when.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize that my criteria for "keepers" is really narrow compared to a lot of you , but I am grateful for penny boxes because I can almost always afford them , and they are highly available . I've finally established accounts with enough credit unions and banks that have accessible coin counters - so dumping is easy .

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Years ago when I could see the dates, I would search a brick of cents and keep all copper. This one time, I searched a MWR box and not a single copper cent. I stated at the time, "What kind of freak pulls every single copper?". I was then reminded that I am that Freak.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Mxh , I think you missread my title - I haven't been skunked since I started doing penny boxes ! I've come close .. I think I had a box with two wheaties .

Yep, totally misread your title...sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread