Ivory pyramid carving Egyptian

norman seagrave

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this item at a thrift shop years ago wondering it’s value and age. If anyone can help thank you. Norman Seagrave BC0055D1-7AE3-435E-8695-65750B91824C.jpeg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is "ivory" in color only IMO.

"composite piece".

Tourist piece... also IMO.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so maybe most likely not worth much

Like most things... worth what someone is willing to pay.

I would say... 5-10 dollars... but hey I am not sure... try and find one for sale online to reference a price.

The ball is in your court now. :)

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a straight pin and heat the tip up and touch it to the piece. If it smells like burning hair, it might be ivory. If plastic you'll know it by the smell. Gary

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like molded plastic to me. I see no evidence of grain which elephant ivory has or "tapioca" which walrus ivory always shows. Heated pin trick will make no smell if ivory and will not penetrate at all. A hot pin in plastic will penetrate and stink. Like AARC says, tourist piece.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it on a stick over a campfire with a few hot dogs tea bag it slowly into the flame post the results. Kiddin I thought ivory was valuable hmm try the pin thing or take it to a proffesional to see it is pretty cool looking though

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cairo souvenir, often sold as 'paperweights' or just as 'decorative'. If you visit Egypt you'll find them on sale at markets and in tourist shops everywhere. In their thousands. In every conceivable design, size and material. The ones that look like ivory are usually resin cast and imported from China! I wouldn't attach any authenticity to what are meant to look like 'file marks' at the apex or the heavily applied 'patina' around the figures. A quick look with a loupe will soon tell you if it's cast or carved. They've been selling souvenirs like that for about 100 years. The early ones are tastefully hand-carved, might well be ivory and were attempted to be passed off as 'relics' or antiquities. That that one looks to be a stylistically gaudy modern fantasy to the extent it wouldn't fool anyone (and wasn't really intended to).

Cairo Souvenirs.jpg

Happy New Year (to all).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread