Jackson's military road

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, construction workers like the Indians needed several things: An elevated area to sleep, usually a hill. Fresh water, to drink, a spring would be great, but a fast running stream would also do.

Fisher: In the front of Tatum's book he gives dates and locations, but there are no maps to be found anywhere. The road may have been MS 43, because he talked about crossing the Peal at Ford's Crossing. Ford's house and Fort are on the Louisiana side of the Pearl. There are signs posted along the road to its location. I can give you a new map that shows you, if you like.

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do I post pics? Found some good evidence and would like to post a pic

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for not responding back to all these post. I couldn't figure out how to open all of them until now lol. And Johnny all the maps I can get the better I really do appreciate all you guys help

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher, the easiest way is to put the pictures on your desktop and then go to the icon, in the Quick Reply, fourth from the left, Insert Image. From Computer, then Select File. I think you have to do this for every picture.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not use cellphones, but I am sure it can be done. A lot of these guys use their cellphone to post.

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this with a quick google search, not sure if it helps or not... BTW Fisher I am in your area and if you are not aware we have a local group called the South Mississippi Relic Team. We meet the 3rd Thursday of every month in Hattiesburg, and have a Facebook Page...

JACKSONS MILITARY ROAD

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This map is from the site at the link I posted.

MAP - Jacksons Military Rd - Thru Hattiesburg A.JPG

Last edited:

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher is looking for something in my back yard. That map may be from NG, but it is wrong, true most new roads follow old roads, but the newer roads tend to be straighter. I found Tatum's book and followed it out of Columbia. That road out of Columbia is MS 43, past Sandy Hook and down to John's Ferry Landing. I do not think the landing is in service anymore, or if any of it is left on the Mississippi side. I am fairly sure John's House is on Louisiana 21, which is MS 35 South out of Columbia. I think the house is like a museum, Historical Markers and all, I have never had the time to stop there. It may be worth the trip and see what the have there.

LA 21 becomes LA 41 Military Road in Slidell, Louisiana. I rest my case.

Last edited:

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys and girls if I sound like I know everything, but I do. At my age I have learned a lot, but I have forgotten most of it. Your questions trigger memories and it helps me remember parts of what I once knew. When I read a post I mark it "LIKED", so I know I have read it and do not have to read it again, but I do sometimes go back to be sure I remember it. I have been to a lot of the states and several countries.

Fisher: The most of the older roads between states are U.S. Highways. Odd numbers run north to south with the lowest numbers in the east coast and the higher on the west, i.e. U.S. 1 Atlantic Coast HWY to U.S. 101 PCH. Even number run east to west U.S. 1 in the north and U.S. 90 in the south. I think that was Ben Franklin's idea. Interstates are newer "President Eisenhower" based them on the Autobahn in Germany. The really old roads are "The Kings HWY," "El Camino Royal" "Old Spanish Trail" etc... Anyway U.S. HWY 11, is old and it ran from Chicago to New Orleans. It is sometimes referred to as "The Bonny and Clyde, or Al Capone, Rum Runners, etc... HWY. It is at the east corner of my street and as far as I know has never been referred to as Jackson's Road/Hwy, or anything else, and does not go to Jackson.

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher is looking for something in my back yard. That map may be from NG, but it is wrong, true most new roads follow old roads, but the newer roads tend to be straighter. I found Tatum's book and followed it out of Columbia. That road out of Columbia is MS 43, past Sandy Hook and down to John's Ferry Landing. I do not think the landing is in service anymore, or if any of it is left on the Mississippi side. I am fairly sure John's House is on Louisiana 21, which is MS 35 South out of Columbia. I think the house is like a museum, Historical Markers and all, I have never had the time to stop there. It may be worth the trip and see what the have there.

LA 21 becomes LA 41 Military Road in Slidell, Louisiana. I rest my case.

Maybe Fisher(the OP) can clarify for us, but I think from what I have read so far that the "COLUMBIA" mentioned on Jackson's Military Rd. is "Columbia", Tennessee & Not "Columbia" Mississippi. These maps provided on this link seem to coincide with others & other misc. info found online. Now I know everything online is not always accurate, but unless multiple sites are using the same wrong info, this route seems pretty accurate for Jackson's Military Rd.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher is looking for the route Andrew Jackson took to New Orleans as described in Tatum's book. The book is online, but there are no maps, only directions and locations with distances and directions to other locations, and for some reason I thought he was looking for Ford's Ferry Landing. I will look for the original post and be back.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher is looking for the route Andrew Jackson took to New Orleans as described in Tatum's book. The book is online, but there are no maps, only directions and locations with distances and directions to other locations, and for some reason I thought he was looking for Ford's Ferry Landing. I will look for the original post and be back. I guess I got confused along the way. Take my advice on this one "Never get old."

"I'm trying to pin point the location of Jackson's road around sims road and James street in Forrest county any tips or hints would be great! Maybe I can return the favor with some info"

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher, I looked at a 1823 map of Jackson, MS and the road leading South out of Jackson was named for General Carrol, another General at the Battle of New Orleans, Gen. Carrol's Rd.

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tatums journal notes that they camped at enon and crossed the leaf river the next morning. And I recently found proof also general John wynn Davidson took the same route coming from Baton Rouge to blow up the mobile and Ohio railroad. I also have many finds proving that to be so also. They supposedly crossed again at agusta. Haven't hunted there but east of agusta at Moody's ferry I've found tons of stuff from both wars and on to the chicasaway and fairly's landing. I don't quit understand why Jacksons column would've came from that direction maybe because I started researching halfway into it instead of starting at the front. Lol. By the way Moody's ferry is my favorite place. The old pony express post office was there the old court house and jail.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an end barrel band off an Amsterdam rifle ..... It was found at the homesite, now corn field,of Wade Hampton II.. has nothing to do with this thread,other than , Hampton was General Jackson's aide de camp at the battle of New Orleans .....

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher: I just ordered copies of some of Jackson's maps, but I am not sure if they will help. They should be here around 11-01-17.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread