Jean Lafitte

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Co-worker told me a story about Jean Lafitte having buried treasure near where we live. He told me there is an old, very old oak tree. Then I did a litlle research and found this. He told me the government tried digging but was denied by the owner. I don't know about that... if the government wanted to dig, they would. Have a crack at it guys. i will try and take a picture of the location. It is an awsome site!

http://www.texasescapes.com/DEPARTMENTS/Letters/LettersToEditorDecember2001.htm

Saturday, December 29, 2001
Here's something for future consideration in your tree section. There's a big live oak in Huffman (community west of Lake Houston, north of Crosby) that has some interesting history. The tree is privately owned, but sits right on the highway (FM 2100) just a few miles north of FM 1960. The elderly owner has an attractive home and keeps a wonderful yard, especially his mature azaleas that are a wonderful backdrop to the stately tree during the spring. There is some apocraphal legend surrounding the tree. Being that it is actually on one of the trails probably used from time to time by Jean Lafitte, legend has it that he buried some gold under its branches. The tree has been dated at better than 325 years old. Huffman is a community of some historical significance, but is hard to define as a town. There is an old town of Huffman, but it is really just a collection of subdivisions build first for weekend homes, and later as suburbs. Hence, the place kind of struggles for an identity. The big oak is the lasting, living symbol of Huffman. The weight of ice during a storm in 1996 or 1997 caused its huge trunk to split, but the owner had it repaired with some sort of plaster-like substance. The Crosby-Huffman Chamber of Commerce 281-328-6984 has some information on this, as does the Lake Houston Sun newspaper 281-452-0530. - J. Barnes, Humble

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Pic I took.

Attachments

• 2222222.JPG
    2222222.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 2,120

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
While at my favorite used book store some months ago I stumbled across a copy of a book that I read as a kid. It was a book on the treasures of Galveston and the surrounding area.
I dickered the price down from 50 to 25 dollars and bought It. The book is presently buried in my pile but I will give the name in another post after I run across it again.
The book has maps to the location of several supposed treasures, but the book was published in the early 60's and many of the sites are built over (Kemah boardwalk eg.).

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
The book is titled;
" Treasures of Galveston Bay"
By,Carroll Lewis
Texian Press,1966

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
cooltone23 said:
Pic I took.

Some how I have missed this post...

I pass by that tree about three times a week. I know that one time or another some one has placed something at the base of that tree and I would kill to check the area!

Nice picture of it too -

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
Another good book that has some good info on Lafitte is Coronado's Children, by J. Frank Dobie. It also has references to other lost treasure spots in Texas.

beerbarrel

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where exactly is the tree?

Address?

Google Earth coords?

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Here ya go Bum, Passed by it again on Tuesday. Huge beautiful tree.

Its on 2100, Head East on 1960. Turn Left at 2100 and its down maybe four miles on the Left. Right passed The Bank of America on the right.

Cords: 30° 2'31.55"N, 95° 5'22.54"W

Attachments

• ha.jpg
    ha.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 1,163

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Keep in mind that the Lake was not there it there would be a river in its place. Not a bad location to camp, near the river.

mr-elmo

Oct 13, 2010
I've heard for years, about a spot along Dickinson Bayou where Lafitte supposedly hid Treasure (very very near a certain Cemetary)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread