What's new

Jewelry is a different animal

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,716
Reaction score
1,504
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Deus II/HF2, Manticore, E-Trac, Excalibur II, V3i, Pro-Find 40, Vibra-Probe 585, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been running the Manti for a couple of days. I didn't even know it existed until last week since I'd taken an extended leave from the hobby. I can't believe how light it is, for one - amazing. The display is CTX-ish, but seems superior. I've been running old finds through air tests to fine-tune my intuition and learn what to dig. With jewelry, the tests indicate that one should dig everything even slightly reasonable. Depending on shape/orientation it can be a single dot, a slight or extended horizontal spread or with a curve. If it has something attached, like earrings and pendants sometimes do, it can get even more complicated. In general, only horizontal simple bands will generate a dot. Size, or thinness, can bring silver into the 60's or lower. The hits in the 80's and 90's are kind of no-brainers, but you would miss quite a bit just digging those. When looking for gold and silver it basically covers the entire spectrum. There is no magic bullet ... if you want to find jewelry you have to dig just about everything. Trying to isolate what not to dig is easier - ferrous items, bottlecaps and it seems like targets that trace downward are generally not desirable, but not sure about that yet.

I remember running the DFX with a Bigfoot coil - I really cleaned up with that combo - and I basically dug nearly everything. The speed of coverage is what made the difference - wish they made something like the Bigfoot again, not the 2 lb double D's available now, although they tout "coverage for open fields" - the Bigfoot was super light.

Ok, done ranting. Thanks for listening.
 
Upvote 0
Theres no comparison between the visual ID on the ctx and manticore, the ctx is the best visual ID machine in the market, and to be honest,the manticore is probably one of the worst..
 
Theres no comparison between the visual ID on the ctx and manticore, the ctx is the best visual ID machine in the market, and to be honest,the manticore is probably one of the worst..
I hear you ... it's why I held onto my CTX - will be hitting places with both and we'll see what happens.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom