What's new

What a Difference One Day Makes

LawrencetheMDer

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
2,979
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio and Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore w M8, M11 and M15 coils, , Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went beach hunting on two successive days. (I was excited to get out after being laid up with back issues for 10 days.) On day 1, I concentrated on a rocky shore where the overlying sand had been removed via hurricane a few years before. This general area has been productive in the past and I was hoping for more. I replace my T-Rex sand scoop with my serrated edged 42” shovel made sturdy enough for rock work. Back breaking...lots and lots of shallow targets both junk and good...for 4 hrs. Ended with a bunch of coins and fishing weights and 2 small junk pieces of jewelry. No gold. No silver.

On day 2, I returned to the same beach for a 4 hour hunt but in a different area – the popular area where there are umbrellas and such for rent. Found much fewer targets, but the good targets were much more desirable! Found 3 rings; 10k gold band with a very small, 1-2mm, cross made from clear stones. The second (engagement) ring is marked 925 and has clear stones, but most probably not diamonds. Spent a lot of time cleaning that one because wife said stones shine better than Her real diamond ring! (Is that a hint?) The third ring is a copper band; was possibly silver plated at one time. Also found a cross in some unknown off metal and it has clear and black stones (Probably give to my religious sister. What about the gold band with cross? I don’t like her THAT much! lol).

Finally, if you’re into creepy you’ll like the Cremation tag from Chino California. It came from the Newton-Bracewell funeral home. Let me remind you that it was found on the west coast of Florida! For cremation tags, this is my 3rd in the past 6 weeks, I photograph the tag and then return it to the sea; in this case the Gulf. FYI; it is bad luck to keep cremation tags – I know this for a fact!

It is instructive to note that all 3 rings and other mentioned targets were very DEEP. I mean often iffy signals and if there were more targets to dig, I may have passed on each ring. (It was so quiet and so few targets probably because of all the other hunters). I also run the Manticore with 15” coil, so I may have had a slight edge in terms of depth over the other Detectorist near by. (I rarely see larger coils out there in the wild; mostly 11-12” and often smaller.) I mostly use the 15” coil for more coverage per swing.

What a difference a day makes.

Happy Hunting
Finds 011926.webp
 

Attachments

  • Finds 012026.webp
    Finds 012026.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • Chico Cal Cremation tag 012026.webp
    Chico Cal Cremation tag 012026.webp
    579.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 10k marking.webp
    10k marking.webp
    375.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 925 ring 012026.webp
    925 ring 012026.webp
    342.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Cremation tag back.webp
    Cremation tag back.webp
    829.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Cross 012026.webp
    Cross 012026.webp
    600 KB · Views: 83
  • 10k ring 012026.webp
    10k ring 012026.webp
    263.8 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Went beach hunting on two successive days. (I was excited to get out after being laid up with back issues for 10 days.) On day 1, I concentrated on a rocky shore where the overlying sand had been removed via hurricane a few years before. This general area has been productive in the past and I was hoping for more. I replace my T-Rex sand scoop with my serrated edged 42” shovel made sturdy enough for rock work. Back breaking...lots and lots of shallow targets both junk and good...for 4 hrs. Ended with a bunch of coins and fishing weights and 2 small junk pieces of jewelry. No gold. No silver.

On day 2, I returned to the same beach for a 4 hour hunt but in a different area – the popular area where there are umbrellas and such for rent. Found much fewer targets, but the good targets were much more desirable! Found 3 rings; 10k gold band with a very small, 1-2mm, cross made from clear stones. The second (engagement) ring is marked 925 and has clear stones, but most probably not diamonds. Spent a lot of time cleaning that one because wife said stones shine better than Her real diamond ring! (Is that a hint?) The third ring is a copper band; was possibly silver plated at one time. Also found a cross in some unknown off metal and it has clear and black stones (Probably give to my religious sister. What about the gold band with cross? I don’t like her THAT much! lol).

Finally, if you’re into creepy you’ll like the Cremation tag from Chino California. It came from the Newton-Bracewell funeral home. Let me remind you that it was found on the west coast of Florida! For cremation tags, this is my 3rd in the past 6 weeks, I photograph the tag and then return it to the sea; in this case the Gulf. FYI; it is bad luck to keep cremation tags – I know this for a fact!

It is instructive to note that all 3 rings and other mentioned targets were very DEEP. I mean often iffy signals and if there were more targets to dig, I may have passed on each ring. (It was so quiet and so few targets probably because of all the other hunters). I also run the Manticore with 15” coil, so I may have had a slight edge in terms of depth over the other Detectorist near by. (I rarely see larger coils out there in the wild; mostly 11-12” and often smaller.) I mostly use the 15” coil for more coverage per swing.

What a difference a day makes.

Happy HuntingView attachment 2241757
Way to go Lawrence!! Your persistence paid off. :icon_thumright:

I feel ya on the back issues, as 2 days ago, I started getting a very sharp pain in my lower lumbar that literally buckled my legs. It's not as bad today, as I've been using an ice pad, pain patch, icy hot, whatever I can get my hands on, but brother, when pain is bad enough to make knees buckle, it's definitely not fun and would be almost impossible to hunt having to deal with all that.
 
Great finds, way to go!! Congratz!
 
Excellent!!
thank you for sharing because finding yellow is caring!!🤪
 
Way to go Lawrence!! Your persistence paid off. :icon_thumright:

I feel ya on the back issues, as 2 days ago, I started getting a very sharp pain in my lower lumbar that literally buckled my legs. It's not as bad today, as I've been using an ice pad, pain patch, icy hot, whatever I can get my hands on, but brother, when pain is bad enough to make knees buckle, it's definitely not fun and would be almost impossible to hunt having to deal with all that.
I know exactly what you're talking about re bad back and sciatica - I've been battling it for 55 yrs after a 95lb girl friend walked on my back!! Just had fastest recovery ever, and can only attribute the fast recovery to extensive use of heating pad. Also used ben gay (equate type) on lower back, light walking and laying flat on ground face up. But heating pad use was new. Didn't let wife walk on back...
 
I know exactly what you're talking about re bad back and sciatica - I've been battling it for 55 yrs after a 95lb girl friend walked on my back!! Just had fastest recovery ever, and can only attribute the fast recovery to extensive use of heating pad. Also used ben gay (equate type) on lower back, light walking and laying flat on ground face up. But heating pad use was new. Didn't let wife walk on back...
I had sciatica about 12 years ago. I'll never forget driving home from work and all of a sudden, my right leg was on fire, literally, like it was burning. I had spinal surgery for sciatica, surgeon enlarged the opening that the nerve bundle runs through and also mounted a titanium plate on my spine as well. I wound up wearing a neck brace for a couple months, had 1 for general use, the other was to use when showering. I think the pain I'm getting now may have been caused by how I was sitting on my PC chair. I was online but was leaning to the right so I wasn't sitting straight up, and it's the left side lower lumber that's the problem, so maybe I pulled a muscle or something. Feeling a bit better today, not as many knee dropping spasms like I had 2 days ago.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom