Jims CRH Log

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
went to the bank near our new house (moved in march) to cash some checks, and asked if they could order me a box of halves two weeks ago. The manager (i think) said... I can do that for you. She said they'd be in Thursday.

Last thursday I went in and they weren't there. They had me leave my number. This morning I got a call that they were in.

I went in to pick them up today.

The manager lady said, "what do you need these for?"
And I learned from you guys this line: "oh just trying to fill up some books"
she responded: "shoot straight with me, you looking for silver?"
"well that too, of course."
The teller kind of rolled her eyes, and said "you search these for silver, I ain't got time for that. Have you ever found any?"
The manager then told me: "this is the only box i can order for you, 'they' catch on to it pretty quick."

Not sure who 'they' are.

The hunt for people to order me halves continues, maybe I'll just have to go back to my bank that ordered them where we used to live, I still head down that way about once a month...

That just sucks! I wonder who the "they" are too... weird. :(

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my first-ever boxes last week. One of each denomination, cent through quarter, plus 4 rolls of small dollars. That poor teller was struggling to carry out the boxes - it was hilarious! She carried 3 at once, but saved the quarters for a different trip. I can understand why tellers might not want to deal with CRHers. On the other hand, one would think they would appreciate such an interest being taken into the object that gives them a job/business. However, I never knew that it costs the banks to have the coins delivered. Never had thought about it before. ...Guess I just figured the money just magically appeard in the vaults every morning. :laughing9:

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my first-ever boxes last week. One of each denomination, cent through quarter, plus 4 rolls of small dollars. That poor teller was struggling to carry out the boxes - it was hilarious! She carried 3 at once, but saved the quarters for a different trip. I can understand why tellers might not want to deal with CRHers. On the other hand, one would think they would appreciate such an interest being taken into the object that gives them a job/business. However, I never knew that it costs the banks to have the coins delivered. Never had thought about it before. ...Guess I just figured the money just magically appeard in the vaults every morning. :laughing9:

I am pretty sure that they charge the banks per delivery, and not per what is being delivered... I think they deliver to my main bank (the one I get my halves from) twice a week... and they don't charge me any extra for them, saying it's "no problem" to order them.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting one box of each denomination, I figured it'd be no problem to get or order some halves. But no go. My bank doesn't even like having what they "do" have!

Haven't made any special orders yet.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting one box of each denomination, I figured it'd be no problem to get or order some halves. But no go. My bank doesn't even like having what they "do" have!

Haven't made any special orders yet.

Ick... probably time for a new bank... I switched banks from B of A to Wells Fargo because they just didn't seem to like coin collectors at all!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, sadly, it's a 2-bank town, and both banks work with the same service (ie.; Brinks, Loomis, etc). Can't remember which I've seen driving through town. Never had a reason to pay attention before. :tongue3:

Have been told that cents might hold the best promise for me, so am considering focusing on that. As I'm also looking for errors (and being newbie-slow!), I've only now gotten past the first 10-roll samples from each box. Opened up another 20 rolls of quarters - no silver! So far no errors either. I like dealing with the larger coins.....clumsy hands!....but not if there's gonna be so very little to find. Gets too boring. Would rather be snuggling with the wife some of that time. ...And no, she's not standing right behind me, either! :laughing7:

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, sadly, it's a 2-bank town, and both banks work with the same service (ie.; Brinks, Loomis, etc). Can't remember which I've seen driving through town. Never had a reason to pay attention before. :tongue3:

Have been told that cents might hold the best promise for me, so am considering focusing on that. As I'm also looking for errors (and being newbie-slow!), I've only now gotten past the first 10-roll samples from each box. Opened up another 20 rolls of quarters - no silver! So far no errors either. I like dealing with the larger coins.....clumsy hands!....but not if there's gonna be so very little to find. Gets too boring. Would rather be snuggling with the wife some of that time. ...And no, she's not standing right behind me, either! :laughing7:

Well, if you're looking for interesting coins, Nickels are definitely the next best option... In a typical box, you should find a silver coin or two or three or four, and if you're lucky, you'll run into the occasional Buffalo and/or Proof coin... Not to mention that key dates ARE out there... I've found two 38-Ds, and three 39-Ss so far... along with a G/VG 1918-D Buffalo.

Quarters and Dimes can be very frustrating... I usually have better luck with them in the Coinstar dump bins than in rolls. *sigh*

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to mention, my fat fingers are having a difficult time with the dime rolls. :tongue3:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Figuring out a few tricks of the trade. Not to hijack the thread, but probably my biggest problem has been re-sealing the ends. I've got them looking pretty neat, but still "nothing" like original. Have been thinking about making a set of attachments for the cordless drill - low speed.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Figuring out a few tricks of the trade. Not to hijack the thread, but probably my biggest problem has been re-sealing the ends. I've got them looking pretty neat, but still "nothing" like original. Have been thinking about making a set of attachments for the cordless drill - low speed.

I've gotten pretty good with that... I use my fingernails a lot... I carefully unwrap the rolls and then use the same roll to rewrap the coins... I'm pretty adept at getting them to look like the original, though for some reason, the Halves seem to be harder to make look good. The biggest problem I run into is getting hangnails. Grrr.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
hey jcole77 and kcm!

i don’t think there is a “they” i think it’s just an excuse to not have to make any more special orders, i do appreciate her ordering me one though.

it was a skunk though :(

i didn't look through every coin this time, just looked at the edges for silver. does that make me a bad CRHer?

I’m going to have to go back to my old bank from where I moved (we still go up that way because there’s no costco where we moved) and see if they will order for me again.

I rip the new rolls and then just reroll them, everytime I go to the bank i ask for half rollers so I have a stack. Easier that trying to rewrap anything, they don't look pretty but I'm pretty sure they all get dumped somewhere anyway.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a bank last week that doesn't want coins brought in rolled up. They break the rolls and run them through a counter regardless. I don't even have to keep the denominations separate. Not yet a customer there and still, there's no fees for bringing in coins. Is pretty sweet! However, I'll be opening an account next time we're in town.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a bank last week that doesn't want coins brought in rolled up. They break the rolls and run them through a counter regardless. I don't even have to keep the denominations separate. Not yet a customer there and still, there's no fees for bringing in coins. Is pretty sweet! However, I'll be opening an account next time we're in town.

Congrats! That's like the best of both worlds!!!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
been almost a year since i posted last. just picked up some CWR and just hunted $50 in dimes and found this baby! Was stokked to find silver again! It's quite the rush.

IMG_2610.JPG

Sorry it's sideways... its a 1952 rosie.

My coin passion seems to come and go, right now it's a go. Picked up a whitman type set and picked up a few coins for it. Fun to SEE in real life the different designs.

I'll keep updating as I hopefully find more!

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back...the obsession has been steady for me since 2013 with some peaks and valleys as far as volume, but I have consistently kept my 2 half-box a week thing going. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
that's awesome zero. I have had a hard time obtaining halves, so for now I'll just do CWR. Been pulling a bunch of 2009 cents. My friend who is a teller just told me she just got in a bunch of new coins, so I've got a few more cents and dimes to go through and then I'll go pick up some more :)

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Just finished up $300 CRW dimes and $40 in CRW cents.

I only found that one silver rosie that I posted above ^

I pulled out 12 wheats! Oldest being '44

29 2009 cents... i was pretty amazed to keep finding these, the last box of cents I hunted I barely found any.

Found some deceptive canadian dimes... grrrr and a 2c euro.

I put the rolls into a bag and saw that one of them burst open so I tried to figure out which ones were short (nightmare) I ended up just donating 5 dimes into the roll that was obviously empty to save myself the headache of going back and trying to figure out which was short.

Good times :) Got more CRW coming soon. Hoping to find an IH penny. And more silver :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread