Primary Interest:
Other
Iceepirate - maybe we should do that in 2016? hahaha

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just thinking there's that 1 guy who has like 100 boxes of 2009 cents and is just smiling right now.

If you were referring to all my postings about saving ALL 2009 cents, then it's ME you're talking about, but I don't boast about having a hundred, but at least about 8-10 FULL boxes. Luckily for me back in 2000 I grabbed a BU BOX of each of the 4-varieties from the bank as they came from the FED's. The rest is just circulated condition to AU as I search cent boxes. Just wish I kept getting more of those BU boxes back in 2009. YES, I will be smiling, but not in my lifetime, on those 2009's, but hopefully on the faces of my 12-grandkids who will eventually get them all.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thats awesome Dozer! Good find! And awesome that you're thinking about future generations!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
just opened my last leftover unopened box of cents from thanksgiving. all enders were shiny and zinc looking. looks like a box full of 2014's. didn't even open a wrapper.

plan to do 2 boxes of halves a week in the new year. hoping to find lots of silver.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
here's my 2015 tally, I started in October. Not bad. hoping to knock it out of the park in 2016 :) Just picked up a box of halves from my bank and asked them to order two more.

90% halves - 2

40% halves - 18

pre 65 dime - 4

1 silver nickel

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
dang it... got the shake down at my dump bank today, a credit union.

I dumped 4 boxes of coins yesterday, 2 nickels, one dime and one cents. And gave them some chocolate covered macadamia nuts. They said they'd run it and call me with the amount. They never did call yesterday so I check my bank account online and saw no difference.

So I went in there today with like $47 in rolled pennies and nickels. As soon as I approached the counter the lady was like... uh, are you going to be doing this fairly often? And I was like well yeah... and then she proceeded to tell me that they might have to start charging me and brought another lady over to tell me the same thing, to which I responded when I opened this account I specifically told you guys that I was a coin collector and the person said it would be okay. The lady responded well maybe she didn't know, you're the first coin collector we've had. This went on for a bit... and then another teller said "uh thanks for those chocolate macadamia nuts, i've eaten about 5." Then the teller asked me, are those from Hawaii because I know your Hawaiian... to which I told her, uh, actually I'm not Hawaiian.

So I think this dump bank is not gonna work out :( We'll see how things progress. Pretty ticked off honestly. I asked up front before opening the account, I said I'm a coin collector I sort through A LOT of coins.

Somewhere in the conversation they said that they don't ship out often, and they have to figure out how much it costs. And my teller said that I still had a bunch of coins in there from last time I dumped which was over 2 months ago.

blargh.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the dump bank dumping on you. It's happened to most of us around here and it sucks.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that. Try finding a local branch that deals with a lot of commercial accounts. Sometimes they can handle the dumps better than smaller credit unions

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up! Most areas have plenty of CU's and banks to choose from. Simply close the account you opened with your current cu, take the cash to a different CU or bank, and spend the hour it takes to open a new account. Keep being honest with each CU/bank about the fact you'd like to deposit more rolled coin than they may normally receive. It will pay off in the long run.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
walked into the credit union (dump bank) to buy some movie tickets yesterday... they used to be so friendly, now they barely make eye contact. I joked "hey look no coins" my teller didn't really laugh, I asked some questions and she was really short with me. My wife even noticed that they were being a lot less friendly then before. awesome.

Anyway, I'm honestly losing my passion for coins and precious metals. I've got two boxes of halves that still need to be sorted and then I'm gonna be taking a break for an indefinite amount of time. We've got some big transitions coming up that require some finances so I'm not going to be able to have the freedom to hunt anyway.

All that to say I just finished a box that I started on Jan 6th. I filled up the two half books with clad all except a 78 and of course the 87's. The book only goes to 99 so I'm throwing the 2000's in a ziplock until I can get a blank book.

Skunked on silver though.

I did enjoy hunting tonight while watching Blue Bloods on netflix.

Here's to hoping these last two boxes are FULL of silver :) A walker would be real nice. And even some Benjamins. :)

Appreciate you guys!

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough luck...negative experiences at the banks are draining. There is one bank that I just dread going into and stopped dumping there because it was just that uncomfortable.

I hope you find some silver in those boxes and come back soon after you catch silver fever again.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
most recent find

haven't posted in like 3 months. We were in the process of moving and got into our first home at the beginning of march. Being new home owners (and dog owner) had me kind of over the CRH and PM hobby. I got a lot of inspiration from looking at peoples stacks on IG. My ipod broke the week we got the house so I've not had that to inspire me but I just signed up for reddit and am following some subreddits about stacking.

Anyway. Before we moved I had to sort through two boxes of halves I had not sorted through, was hoping I could use that towards the down payment, but because it was "cash" and didn't have a paper trail I could not.

Nonetheless it was a good haul as far as silver was concerned.

2 90's - one was a benjamin! I've never found one of those before
and 10 40's.

IMG_7487.JPG

Crazy to have not been checking in on the price of silver and see that it was $18 recently, when I was more active it was around $14.

I'm itching to pick up another box of halves, we'll see what happens.

Where's Rick?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back and hope you pick up that next box soon. Congrats on the house as well!

Great question on Rick... not sure but he hasn't posted since Feb. I hope all is well with him

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
went to the bank near our new house (moved in march) to cash some checks, and asked if they could order me a box of halves two weeks ago. The manager (i think) said... I can do that for you. She said they'd be in Thursday.

Last thursday I went in and they weren't there. They had me leave my number. This morning I got a call that they were in.

I went in to pick them up today.

The manager lady said, "what do you need these for?"
And I learned from you guys this line: "oh just trying to fill up some books"
she responded: "shoot straight with me, you looking for silver?"
"well that too, of course."
The teller kind of rolled her eyes, and said "you search these for silver, I ain't got time for that. Have you ever found any?"
The manager then told me: "this is the only box i can order for you, 'they' catch on to it pretty quick."

Not sure who 'they' are.

The hunt for people to order me halves continues, maybe I'll just have to go back to my bank that ordered them where we used to live, I still head down that way about once a month...

I'll let you know how this box works out. Cool to see silver over $18. Interesting to see what it does over the next 30 years.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, well if you're out of dump banks you certainly know where you can go to unload some unwanted halves. Good luck finding a bank willing to order halves for you on a regular basis.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
haha, it's been quite the saga with banks. good times :)

i'd be really interested to see the financial breakdown of investment and return from people that have business accounts to order halves. How much silver do you have to find to break even?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't open a business account to order coins. "shop around" and I am sure you will find a bank willing to order at least a box for you. Most banks only require a $100 checking account to avoid fees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread